White Automatic Zig Zag

Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
One thing we tend to forget when the trend is toward lighter things is that for machinery weight is good. The extra mass helps dampen noise and vibration. I forget the technical details but cast iron is especially good at dampening vibration.
I play with old woodworking machines too. When it comes to cast iron on wood and metal working machines it's "The More the Merrier". If you ever get a chance to compare an old cast iron topped table saw to one of the new plastic marvels the difference is obvious. I would expect the same to be true for sewing machines, just on a smaller scale.
Rodney
I like the heavy machines, too it's the walking off the table....
Old 03-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I am a new member to QB with a recent big passion for vintage machines. ♥ My birthday is right around the corner and hubby has agreed to let me scout around some and see what looks fun to me! We're headed out tomorrow to check out some things I've seen on Craigslist but oooohh so many wonderful machines and so little time to see them all!

One I have found that looks interesting is a White brand machine, although the machine itself is green. It's a Zig-zag Automatic. Does anyone have this machine? Good reviews? Bad? Things to look for?

Here is a picture of one on eBay showing the type of machine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Whit...-/171251259741
These old White mahines are workhorses. I have two similar to ths. I bet you could sew through 10 layers of fabric if you could get it under the foot. They are really sturdy and easy to sew on but mine only have straight stitch. The one I sew on has a knee press and I love that. It was made in my birth year 1949 and I only gave $25 for it. The other one I have is not in a cabinet but I'm looking for one. I don't know the age on it cause I can't find a serial #. If you get one you can call Husqvarna with the serial #and they can tell you how old it is. Husqvarna took over White.

Last edited by sunny42539; 03-01-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:04 AM

my question would be ... does it need cams to zig zag ... and does come with the cams?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 AM

Guys, You KNOW I HAD to bring it home! Once I saw it and then had a chance to try it, I was all gaga over it and there was no leaving it there! It's a lovely machine and I haven't even tried the cams yet! It does a straight and a zig-zag without cams (I think a serpentine too--gotta read the manual more!) and then come with 5 cams that are double sided! I was pleasantly surprised to see I can drop the feed dogs

It has a stuck metal dial at the top needing lubrication that prevented me from trying the cams. Either that or I am not putting the rest of the adjustments in the right place yet to move it, but I feel certain this can be worked out. This little green machine will need some cleaning and some oil but it was a one-owner machine and she kept everything for it so there are plenty of feet, needles, the cams, quilting guides and more for it right down to the original advertising for her purchase, manual, and the folders, tins and cardboard boxes the cams came in. Don't you just love it when that happens?

The cabinet...well who really needs yet another cabinet when you already have an embarrassing amount of machines..? But really the cabinet is lovely too! I think once the weather warms up, I may want to re-finish it, and then it will be gorgeous!

I work up at 4:00 am this morning too excited to sleep any longer. I am quietly reading the manual and searching on-line for more info trying not to drive the family crazy just yet lol!

I haven't decided on a name or even whether I have adopted a male or a female yet but here is my new dinosaur already sitting up on my shop table (fingerprints and all for now). Oooh and the goodies!
Attached Thumbnails white-dino-resize-640.jpg   goodies-resize-640.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

dinosaur? Dino-sew-for-us-rex Wilbur would be in love with that one...
Old 03-02-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sunny42539 View Post
The one I sew on has a knee press and I love that. It was made in my birth year 1949 and I only gave $25 for it. The other one I have is not in a cabinet but I'm looking for one. I don't know the age on it cause I can't find a serial #. If you get one you can call Husqvarna with the serial #and they can tell you how old it is. Husqvarna took over White.
Thank you for the information. I knew Husq/Viking took over White but it hadn't dawned on me to try and get the age from them-good idea! I was told this one originally had a knee lever but the seller couldn't recall exactly why it didn't now. I checked the cabinet for any possible previous hardware installation. There are some holes drilled by no sign that anything was there before. On your machine WITH the knee lever, is it a cabinet installed lever that presses the foot controller?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:24 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
One thing we tend to forget when the trend is toward lighter things is that for machinery weight is good. The extra mass helps dampen noise and vibration. I forget the technical details but cast iron is especially good at dampening vibration.
I play with old woodworking machines too. When it comes to cast iron on wood and metal working machines it's "The More the Merrier". If you ever get a chance to compare an old cast iron topped table saw to one of the new plastic marvels the difference is obvious. I would expect the same to be true for sewing machines, just on a smaller scale.
Rodney
My Dad was a superb woodworker and was careful about his tools. Seems like all of his were very heavy but that was back before all the plastic stuff being made. When my husband was able to get some of his things, they were all backbreaking to move (and we have moved them several times!), he knew he had good stuff that would last and he would never have to worry about the machinery traveling across the shop floor while he was using it. Same for the old sewing machines as you have stated, Rodney. Lightweight is nice if you are going to a class for the day but at home, give me those heavy old ones.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM

That's a handsome machine! I have 2 1960's models of Whites - love them! I would have bought this guy too if I had found him. Seems like a "he" to me anyway.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Yes, I definitely feel a "he" vibe too. He's got a masculine front end like a train and that deep green just speaks male to me.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:39 AM

Welcome to Group!! It can certainly feed any obsessive traits that may exist! Did you get that machine? It looked pretty darn rugged. I couldn't tell very well but it looked like maybe the left adjustment lever was for needle position. but I could easily be wrong.