White Rotary

Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Default White Rotary

The second machine I'm not sure is worth fixing is a White Rotary. Its appearance is pretty rough. And the take-up lever hits at the lowest spot. Is there a way to fix the take-up problem? I'm afraid to try the "bending" approach.
Attached Thumbnails white-rotary-front.jpg   white-rotary-take-up.jpg  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 AM

Looks like the take up lever took a hit from the front. It should be a smooth curve, not a sharp bend.

The plate under the spool pin is turned around 180*. The little arm should face the front for bobbin winding.

If you want to use the clip-on light, there should be a little rubber tube on it to protect the machine. If it's missing an appropriately sized piece of electrical shrink tube will work.

Overall, it looks like 80% or more of the decals are there. Not pristine but certainly not bad either. I think it's worth fixing but then I think they all are.
Rodney
Old 06-24-2015, 03:47 PM

I'm not sure but I was wondering if it may be two pieces and crud has gotten in to prevent it pressing gently back in place. I think that on one of ours that it had a tab to hold the end. A picture of the back side would show the tab but it could be broken. I hope it could be an easy fix.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:05 PM

I've got a couple questions about the White Rotary. I've attached a picture of the back of the machine, my soldering gun, and the bobbin winder.

Would I get enough heat from my soldering gun to make the metal anywhere near hot enough to bend?

How do you wind a bobbin on this thing? It's got the rubber-band type belt, but is too long if I take it off the handwheel, and attach it from the motor to the bobbin winder. The metal plate under the spool pin has to run side to side to cover up the rectangle hole on top.

And, no, there's not any rubber on the back to help hold the light on -- just a metal clip. I think I can just put a piece of felt under the clip so it won't damage the paint any further.
Attached Thumbnails white-rotary-solder-gun.jpg   white-rotary-bobbin-winder.jpg   white-rotary-back.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 05:50 AM

I think your bobbin winder is missing the little rubber tire. To engage it, you push the bobbin winder mechanism up until the tire touches the handwheel. It doesn't use the belt, the rubber tire just rides along the handwheel to spin the bobbin.

I don't know enough to answer about bending the take-up lever.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 AM

I have a Rotary Special that I've been trying to give away for the cost of shipping, but so far no takers. I had one like yours and someone took it.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:28 PM

The bobbin winder arm won't go up, it only goes down. That's what confuses me.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:30 AM

Oh! Well in that case...I have no idea!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:49 AM

Believe the bobbin winder runs along the belt. If the belt is too loose, tighten it by moving the motor.