Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
White Sewing Machine from Grandmother >

White Sewing Machine from Grandmother

White Sewing Machine from Grandmother

Old 09-15-2013, 05:50 PM

Default White Sewing Machine from Grandmother

My grandmother recently passed away and going through her belongings she has a White Sewing Machine. This is very nice and I have some pictures. What would a person ask for if I were to sell this machine? Thank you, Brandon[ATTACH=CONFIG]436240[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]436241[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1289.jpg   img_1288.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 05:52 PM

Wow how nice for you. I have a White Quilting Star but it's electric. This one you can sew and not have to worry about thunder storms ruining your day. Good Luck with it. Sue
Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 PM

That is beautiful . I wouldn't sell it if it was mine.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 PM

i'm so sorry for your loss. grandmas are very special.

it is a pretty machine - outside of addicts there isn't too much of a market for treadles, so it just depends on if you find the right person. looking at your machine, it will need a new belt and a good cleaning. the chrome parts are pretty dirty, but some chrome polish and work would clean them up. the working parts probably need cleaning & oiling and lubricant.

the cabinet is beautiful. lots of detailing on the drawers that appeals to people and the wood looks in good shape.

how much people will pay for it varies a lot from region to region. around here (oregon) treadles are anywhere from $15 on up, depending on condition and whether or not there are attachments. If you want to sell it as is, on craigslist for example, probably something around $25-60ish, maybe? i'm thinking in Montana you might have lots of them floating around. You might check online and see what the going prices are. sell locally - you don't want to ship it. they are too fragile and expensive to ship.

Brandon, i'm guessing you might be youngish - someday you might really treasure your grandma's sewing machine. our tastes change as we go through life, and you might have a wife/daughter or you who ends up appreciating antiques, especially a family piece. I might be completely off-base, so ignore me if so, but you're not going to see a lot of money from this unless you put some work into cleaning it up. it might be worth more to you as a reminder of your grandma. My grandma died when i was 23 and i have her treadle and her pump organ. Never "use" either one of them but every time i look at them i smile and remember her. just wanted to throw it out there in case you hadn't considered that.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 PM

Hi Brandon, so sorry for your loss, I agree with Oregon girl, grandmas are very special. She had a beautiful machine, it looks well loved. I would urge you to take some time to think about the decision to sell her machine. I don't know your circumstances and I'm sorry this really is none of my business, but once it's gone it's gone.

I lost my grandmother years ago and I recently wrote this about her machine that I am blessed to have. Good luck and many blessings to you Brandon.

Susan

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t227840.html
Old 09-16-2013, 06:00 AM

For prices...here you go http://www.ismacs.net/sewing_machine...ine_worth.html
Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 AM

I can't give you an answer, because I would keep the machine.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

I would not part with it!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 AM

Brandon,

Welcome to the QB Vintage machines forum.

First, I can't give you a price to ask on that machine, I've not seen any in this area as nice as that one.

Second, please rethink selling that machine. I know, you probably have no interest in sewing, but try it, it's fun. It really is.

Third, that machine is a link to your families history. Once it's gone, it's gone. Nothing can replace it, not even a machine just like it.

Now, Let me tell you a bit about me.
I'm a 61 year old guy who has just recently started sewing. I watched my mom sew from the time I was a very small child till she died in '01. I have her old HOTHER 15 Clone machine, my avatar pic, and use it.
Her other machine is languishing in a dilapidated shed in AZ. I want it badly but I can't get any of my relatives to get it for me. I've been told I can have it ( long story ) but no one will pick it up and ship it to me even after I've offered to pay for the supplies and shipping.

I've been watching my wife sew for 30 years.
Back in 1998 my late cousin gave me a Singer treadle machine we saw in an antique store. It sat in the garage and storage locker for over 12 years until late 2011 when I got the interest to try it. Since then I've caught the bug.

I have 4 functional treadle machines, one who's cabinet is under repair and two treadle heads I'm looking for cabinets for.
I use them all now and again to make quilts, shopping bags and other things.

My grandmother who I lost in 1988 had a Singer treadle. Nobody knows what happened to it. I'd love to have had the chance to get it.
My oldest aunt has her grandmothers treadle. I'd like to get my hands on it, I doubt my cousins would be interested.

Family history is irreplaceable. Take the time to gently clean and oil that machine, put a new belt on it, and learn to use it. Many of us will gladly and freely help, all you have to do ask.
You'll be surprised at how much enjoyment you can get from creating things.
And it's soooooo much fun to show the ladies something you've made and watch the disbelief on their faces. Especially when so many modern women don't have a clue how to sew.

That's just my opinion, freely given by a sentimental old guy who's seen so much family history vanish.

Joe
Old 09-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Brandon,

Unfortunately, Whites are not generally very valuable. You can check out the local Craigs List for asking prices and list and see what happens. You can also use these as TV and printer stands and they do serve some practical use as just furniture. A few of my treadles serve in this capacity as the low selling price just isn't worth the replacement cost .

Good Luck
Jon