Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Who knows about light industrial servo motors? >

Who knows about light industrial servo motors?

Who knows about light industrial servo motors?

Old 04-21-2014, 11:33 PM

Default Who knows about light industrial servo motors?

I have two motors (both from 1951) that I found out today are the servo variety (they start only when you put your foot down) and one of them has this faulty condensor/starter:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472638[/ATTACH]
It's definitely the offending part because both motors will run when the other one is fitted and neither work with this one. Now, I can't find much information at all on these beasties, except what they're classified as and that they're highly desirable, as they work like domestic motors, use less power, quieter, slower, more controllable etc. Now given my limited electrical knowledge (I have a physics degree but limited electrical experience) these look like capacitance markings but there are three wires coming out. My LSMG has none of these in stock and recommended buying a new motor for $250. Sure it's cheap but I'm thinking wasteful as the motors are otherwise in excellent condition, and this device looks very cheap and kind of easy to replace, if only I knew what it is and how it works. Part number is 198648 but Google let me down. It says "1 + 1 + .005 MFD" suggesting some kind of double capacitor with 0.005 being the tolerance. It looks too meaty to be simply replaced by two regular modern electrolytic caps, but I could be mistaken.
If I were to throw caution to the wind (and I've been known to) I'd buy two 2250VDC caps as close as possible to 1 MFD, connect them end to end, solder three wires on and plug her in. Anyone have advice other than "don't do it you idiot!"?
If you have a capacitance tester and one of these, working (or if you just know the answer) can you test it and let me know if it is indeed just two capacitors in series?
Thanks in advance: I'd ask my dad but he'll probably just tell me this is why we have circuit trips and just do the (idiot) thing I suggested above.
Attached Thumbnails capacitor.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 04:05 AM

Nice suit!

I have no idea but I'm going to watch and wish you luck.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Nice suit!

I have no idea but I'm going to watch and wish you luck.
Thanks, it's Italian

I'm pretty sure it's at least two capacitors together. When I find out what it is, the next step will be replacement with ultra-cheap option, and I'll let you all know. These 1950s industrial motors are great fun: They're really fast without the scare factor of the full size clutch motors.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:21 AM

There's no way to open up that unit? Or maybe I'm completely not understanding. But, have you looked inside that starter to see what has blown out?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
There's no way to open up that unit? Or maybe I'm completely not understanding. But, have you looked inside that starter to see what has blown out?
I've pulled the cover off and underneath is a solid plastic substance, so I went no further
Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 PM

Can you post a photo of it opened up? I know nothing about the servo motors, but I don't think it's just two capacitors in that large unit. If it's already toast, why not try to open it up more? I suspect there has to be more to it and maybe a circuit board of some kind?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

That part number looked like a type of formulation from those "Common Core" system the gov't wants the schools to utilize> LOL! Sorry I'm no help. Just kind of struck me funny!
Old 04-22-2014, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Can you post a photo of it opened up? I know nothing about the servo motors, but I don't think it's just two capacitors in that large unit. If it's already toast, why not try to open it up more? I suspect there has to be more to it and maybe a circuit board of some kind?
Someone in the Yahoo group solved it for me! It seems that these motors are simply a big version of a domestic motor and the capacitors are just a big version of the domestic ones for radio suppression. What threw me was that when the domestic ones go the motors go at full speed, whereas this motor just stopped.

Anyway, now we all know. Not sure how common these are but I've acquired two of them in the past four months. Lucky me!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:14 PM

Sorry, I didn't say how to fix it. Domestic or industrial, just remove the capacitors and the motor works perfectly.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:42 PM

Yes, I've removed several from domestics.