View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 AM
omak

As a lefty, I can't tell you the number of times someone has said to me: Just get with the program! It is a right-handed world ...
HAH! Not so fast my furry little friend ...
a sewing machine is set up for left-handed people ... if you go into a factory setting, it becomes abundantly clear ... efficient sewing dictates that you put your operation to the LEFT of the machine ... watch Eleanor Burns <g>
Anyway, I have found others are more perturbed by my being left-handed more than I am.
I knit and crochet right handed, but when you watch me work, you see that I am doing most of the work with my left hand ...
One year, I was learning to weave baskets with one of my cousins ... he was also a lefty and was whining about how he almost didn't master the operation because all the women that were teaching him were right-handed, and he had a hard time learning to do likewise.
So, we would sit together and work on our berry baskets ... for about two weeks, when he suddenly said: What are you doing? And, why are you doing it that way? How did you figure it out????
LOL
I was weaving with my left hand just big as life ... all I can figure is - - when the issue wasn't which hand was doing what, my brain took what I saw his right hand doing and made it work with my left hand ...
I decided that we accomplish what we want when what we want to do is more important than which hand we get it done with ...
However! When it was first discovered that I was left-handed, I was in the first grade and teacher decided that I had to switch to write right handed ... it was a disaster!
Thank God that my mother liked my dad really well? And, HE was a lefty ... and she told the teacher so! " Her father is a wonderful man and if writing left-handed is good enough for him, it is good enough for my daughter. YOU LEAVE HER ALONE!"
All I am saying is: Being left or right handed is important to who we are and how we express ourselves ... but, it cannot be the focus of WHAT we do ...
am I confusing you yet? <g> <wave>