Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scissors for lefties >

Scissors for lefties

Scissors for lefties

Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM

Do any of you lefties have recommendations for good scissors? I have tried so many - even the 'true' left handed scissors don't always cut well for me. I do use the rotary cutters a lot, but sometimes you just need to do it by hand...would appreciate some advice
Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

Do you have a dressmaker's shop in your town? or another shop that seels shears? I would go somewhere that you can try them out before you buy them :D:D:D
Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by katmom54
Do any of you lefties have recommendations for good scissors? I have tried so many - even the 'true' left handed scissors don't always cut well for me. I do use the rotary cutters a lot, but sometimes you just need to do it by hand...would appreciate some advice
I am a lefty, and have never been able to cut with left-handed scissors.
Something you might try - - my mom, who is right-handed, never learned to cut right handed. She cuts left-handed :shock: when I asked her how she accomplished it, she showed me how she took regular scissors and just turned them upside down.
It never worked for me, but maybe it will work for you? <wave>
Old 04-30-2010, 03:14 AM

LOL..I am a lefty. I think everyone things the world is backwards to us..NOT. I use only left handed scissors. I have noticed something..when I use a right handed scissors in my left hand I have to grip it differently..and adjust my alignment..then if I go to a left handed pair..I can't use them. Thus..I just stick with lefties. I have Gingher brand scissors. I found a great pair of scissors when I was in the flower business made by Dahle. One of my employees thru them out and I was never able to find another pair. Good luck with the scissor delemma..
Blessings
Old 04-30-2010, 04:39 AM

I am left-handed too and when I was at MQX a couple of weeks ago there was a scissor company there and I asked him if he had any left-handed scissors. Of course he only had one pair that was way too big for me to use but we got to talking and he said that when a left-handed person uses a right-handed pair of scissors they are going against the blades for the way that a right handed pair was made. Because we have trained our brains to use right-handed scissors and to make them work for us, when we go to use left-handed scissors it is awkward because our motor skills part of the brain is already trained to make the right handed pair work the way we want them to. Left-handed people that use right-handed scissors will go through more scissors than a right using a right and the same for a left using a left because again, we are going against the blades for the way the scissors were made. Does that make sense?

To answer your question-I don't use left-handed scissors because I find them just as uncomfortable to use as right-handed scissors, but because I have always used right-handed scissors, that is all I use.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 AM

As a lefty, I can't tell you the number of times someone has said to me: Just get with the program! It is a right-handed world ...
HAH! Not so fast my furry little friend ...
a sewing machine is set up for left-handed people ... if you go into a factory setting, it becomes abundantly clear ... efficient sewing dictates that you put your operation to the LEFT of the machine ... watch Eleanor Burns <g>
Anyway, I have found others are more perturbed by my being left-handed more than I am.
I knit and crochet right handed, but when you watch me work, you see that I am doing most of the work with my left hand ...
One year, I was learning to weave baskets with one of my cousins ... he was also a lefty and was whining about how he almost didn't master the operation because all the women that were teaching him were right-handed, and he had a hard time learning to do likewise.
So, we would sit together and work on our berry baskets ... for about two weeks, when he suddenly said: What are you doing? And, why are you doing it that way? How did you figure it out????
LOL
I was weaving with my left hand just big as life ... all I can figure is - - when the issue wasn't which hand was doing what, my brain took what I saw his right hand doing and made it work with my left hand ...
I decided that we accomplish what we want when what we want to do is more important than which hand we get it done with ...
However! When it was first discovered that I was left-handed, I was in the first grade and teacher decided that I had to switch to write right handed ... it was a disaster!
Thank God that my mother liked my dad really well? And, HE was a lefty ... and she told the teacher so! " Her father is a wonderful man and if writing left-handed is good enough for him, it is good enough for my daughter. YOU LEAVE HER ALONE!"
All I am saying is: Being left or right handed is important to who we are and how we express ourselves ... but, it cannot be the focus of WHAT we do ...
am I confusing you yet? <g> <wave>
Old 04-30-2010, 06:43 AM

I'm a lefty. :) I bought my scissors at JoAnns. They are Fiskars. (Used a 40% off coupon) so they were only a couple dollars. They don't have any holes in the handles for your fingers. The handles are straight. They have a lock on them so the blades are always closed. Until the lock is pushed out of place.A great safety precaution is you have small children around. They are very sharp, cut great. Probably the last pair I will ever have to buy. My husband even bought a pair, although his has longer blades for work. They are sharp enough he can cut gaskets and stuff. He loves them. Also used a coupon for his. They are great scissors and I would recommend them to everone.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I am mostly left-handed, but am (fortunately) able to use the right-handed ones.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM

I,too, am left handed and I've had to adapt for most things.
I use mostly right handed scissors. The Fiskars (gray and black ones with the orange lock) work great for me. 'pieces' mentioned that they have no holes for fingers but those are the shorter, sharper blade ones. There is also the longer blade ones that don't have such sharp tips and do have a large area (hole if you will) for your 4 fingers rather than your thumb. For short scissors, I like Cutter Bee-yellow with sharp tips and a removable cover or Gingher 5 1/2" ones. Both seem to be very easy for me to use. I use a rotary cutter mostly and have switched the blade to the right side, when holding in my left hand. I notice there is a new one out there that can be used by both hands without changing blade positions. But they are expensive so I'm happy just using the standard cutters.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

I am left handed and do most things right handed. They tried to change me in grade school and mostly succeeded. I only write left handed.