Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine for Lefties?

Machine for Lefties?

A strange (perhaps stupid) question just popped into my brain. Has there ever been a machine made for lefties, where the hand crank or flywheel is on the left, the spool on the left, the needle and feed dogs on the right side? I don't know enough to know if this is a silly question, but i figured if there are cars where the steering is on the right side, why not a sewing machine?

Blog Entries
    I have never seen or heard of a lefthanded sewing machine. My daughter would love to have one, though!

This article claims that the sewing machine actually is a lefthanded machine. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2102616AAUAJ4Q I tend to agree. On the other hand...http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...g-machine.html

I am ambidextrous - I use my left hand for everything but writing; I have always used a regular sewing machine, and even on equipment that are for righties only, I always manage to use my left. I bought a rotary cutter that's strictly for left hand users only, but I can't get the hang of using it, I do much better with Olfa or Fiskar's rotary cutters. Same thing with scissors, I use Fiskars soft touch with either hand.

I am about as left handed as a person can be; but I've never had a problem with any machine but my featherweight. The needle threads from right to left and it took me a long time to learn to thread it with my right hand. All other machines have seemed perfect to me as a leftie. Now that I can thread the featherweight, I love that machine. I do use a left handed rotary cutter; but I have always cut with right handed scissors in my left hand. I had done that for so long that left handed scissors do not feel comfortable.

Can you imagine the value of a true left-handed machine? Talk about trying to insure that baby on your home owners insurance! "Yes Mr. Insurance agent, I would like you to insure my machine for 1 million dollars...why, there are only 2 in existence and it may be worth more. Mr. Insurance man, did you faint?"
    Last edited by Bneighbor; 09-09-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Computer stopped

Dunster, interesting articles. Singer was a leftie, huh? Makes sense, come to think of it. All the fine motor skills (no pun intended) are done with the left hand at a machine. Looking at that museum SM Singer gives me the willies. Looks so....weird! Bneighbor, that would be quite the conversation with Mr. Insurance Agent. Franc, I am righthanded, but just got a 15 91 for the first time ever. It threads from R to L, and that took ME a while! I often thread with my L hand, eat with it, paint with it sometimes when the R is tired.

When I mentioned to my dr that my memory is giving me trouble, she suggested I use my non-dominant hand more.
    I would guess ambi people have better memories. That would be an interesting study.

This thread is very interesting. My mom , me & 2 of my sisters are lefties. My mom was beaten in school for using her left hand , so she got next no education, but she & dad raised 8 children. She cooked & baked everything we needed & also sewed all our clothes. Very often when other people saw our clothes they would ask her to do thier sewing. I'm sure the sewing machine is made left handed.I sure can't complain about mine. That is one thing that has been made for us lefties. I have left handed scizzors, but only the handles are left handed the blades are still right handed.At least I don't get blisters when I have a lot of cutting to do.

Blog Entries
    I am ambidextrous and as stated before I have used many sewing machines and they are primarily left handed. I had my left hand in plaster last year and thought I would still be able to sew. Noooo way even on the machine. Even pulling my knickers down so I trained the dog to help. I can right with my left but was taught to use my right which is better. One other job I hate using right hand for is ironing, much better left handed. This is a family thing write with right but use left for loads of jobs. Painting etc.
    I learnt to use a treadle seing machine and when using one it is definately all left handed although I never thought about it until now. Interesting thought.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I'm a leftie too and learned to use my right hand for cutting when I was young so guess that would be ambidextrous??? Some things I do totally left handed like eating and brushing my teeth, but can use my right for lots of other things, sewing and quilting have never been a problem for me...cool seeing how others have coped, my friend who is a total leftie makes me laugh at the way she holds scissors to cut...hey it works, and she can't use the left handed kind cause she learned on right handed ones....

I too am mostly ambidextrous. I do many things with either hand interchangeably. As an elementary school child several of my friends had broken arms (usually from "bailing out" of the swings) so I figured I needed to be prepared in case it happened to me! So when I broke my hand many years later when my youngest was in first grade, I was ready. Lol! Actually I do find it easier to do some things lefty and others right handed. Didn't even realize that I was doing it until someone commented on it.

I am naturally left handed, but I sew, knit play guitar and loads of other things right handed as I was the only leftie in the family. My aunt bought me left handed pinking shears which I can't use as I always used right handed scissors. The one thing I can't do right handed is put my make up on! If I try I look like a pantomime dame

I sympathize with your mom because my grandmother got the same thing back in England. Her writing was almost illegible with her right hand. But she taught me how to sew and mend and use the old treadle machine and I am left handed, so I guess she muddled through despite the schools trying to beat it out of her.

Makes me wonder what modern education ideas we have now which will be out in the trash next generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeter Eva View Post
    This thread is very interesting. My mom , me & 2 of my sisters are lefties. My mom was beaten in school for using her left hand , so she got next no education, but she & dad raised 8 children. She cooked & baked everything we needed & also sewed all our clothes. Very often when other people saw our clothes they would ask her to do thier sewing. I'm sure the sewing machine is made left handed.I sure can't complain about mine. That is one thing that has been made for us lefties. I have left handed scizzors, but only the handles are left handed the blades are still right handed.At least I don't get blisters when I have a lot of cutting to do.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Don't forget about typing! I use both hands equally for that!

My Mom refused to let us use our left hands for writing when we were little. DH and I let our kids naturally decide which hand to use. They both settled on being right handed. But, I wonder how much is determined/decided by watching our parents/siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeter Eva View Post
    I too am left handed. I learned to sew when I was 15. Used right handed scissors (terrible thumb dent) for years. I now have 2 pair of left handed scissors, one I love and one I'm not so fond of. The first pair are left handed, right bladed. The other are left handed, left bladed (couldn't get them to cut on the line until I realized you have to change how you look down on the blades). DH is left handed, our 2 sons are right handed. Go figure. I think that most lefties are really ambidextrous, do to living in a right handed world.
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman"

My two straight stitch only machines have to be threaded from L to R. Have to use left hand for changing feet and needles. I am totally right handed only use my left when two hands are needed. I have finally mastered using my left hand for the above.
    My Husband is right handed except for cutting, uses his left for that.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I am a leftie, and do lots with either hand: cut with a rotary cutter, iron, use scissors, use a knife, use tools, etc. Though I do mostly write with my left hand, I do put my make up on with my right.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    This thread has me chuckling! Yes, I too am a leftie and for the life of me would not know what to to if you handed me a pair of left handed scissors! I use to make our IT people at work crazy because I converted my mouse from right to left handed.... LOL!! Joke was on them - but decided to change it back as the rest of the desk area just wasn't compatible!

that's interesting that you ask that question. Being left handed myself I remember my business ed teacher back in 1964 telling us in typing class (now get this) with a manual underwood typewriter, that typewriters and sewing machines are really left handed machines! Did that ever make my day! And I was the fastest most accurate typist in the school - even won a contest!

Power Poster
    I had been wondering why the sewing machine 'needle end' was on the left.

At one time, being left-hand dominant was not a good thing. I wonder how many people were damaged by that idea?

I deal cards left-handed. I didn't even realize that was 'different' until someone pointed it out to me.

I never even thought of that. I have gotten used to the right-handed machines. In fact I do not even think that I could use left-handed scissors at this point. :-)
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I am left handed and do most things left handed. I did have to have my roller bars on my LA set up to the left and occasionally will hit the wrong control, since it is set up for righties. I have switched the blade on my Olfa cutters to LH and have ambidextrous scissors.

However, when I went to work at a database company I had to learn how to use more right hand more for both using the keyboard and then the mouse. I did end up with a form of carpal tunnel, but in my right shoulder as well as in my wrist and hand. Thankfully, since I have retired and do less computer work it's not a problem any more.

I have looked and can't find 1 either. My DGD is a lefty and we have to improvise alot.
    Country 1

Love this thread as well. I'm a natural lefty in a family of right handed people. Have always just "loved" designations of right and left as though there is something wrong with us . In the early fifties when in preschool, I was lucky enough to have a left-handed teacher and a mother who made sure ahead of time that no one would try to change my hand orientation. By the time I was older, I'd trained myself to use both hands equally and can have never regretted it. Although my husband was a lefty as well, both children are right handed so either one of us was not truly a lefty - must have been him -- or left handedness as a recessive genetic trait must not be completely true. In college I wrote a paper on the travails of being left hand in a right handed world and keep coming up with new and different examples. Fortunately, quilting and other activities I do don't require one or the other in most cases. As I get older memory and remembering which hand I want to use aren't always easily accessed. At least I'm lucky and still have most of the use of both hands; forget the memory - I usually do Joyce cuddling in an air conditioned room with four furry beagle friends.

Quote Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
    ... I have always cut with right handed scissors in my left hand. I had done that for so long that left handed scissors do not feel comfortable.
    This reminds me of a time when I accidentally bought lefty Fiskars at a garage sale. They seemed extremely weird to me and the minute I figured it out I ran (not literally, with scissors! ) down the street to give them to my left-handed friend. I would think they'd cause calluses if used with the wrong hand.

This is a fun thread. I never considered before that most sewing machines seem left-handed, but in a way they do, since most of the fabric is to the left side. Also, it seems that as many lefties as there are in the world, it would not have been surprising if every machine right from the beginning had been offered in both right and left models. Maybe it isn't that hard for most people to adapt, with the lefties having some advantages as they move the fabric around and the righties having it a little easier when it comes to other things. Most people have pretty good use of their non-dominant hand. Otherwise, it would be very hard for anyone to play the piano or type or even drive a car.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast