View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Roben

We researched machines for a couple of years, so I understand information overload :lol: We went to a couple of shows, and played with the machines that were set up so I could eliminate the ones that didn't 'feel' right for me - that narrowed down my throat space too, since some of the bigger ones were hard for me to use.

I also had to decide if I wanted to pursue doing quilts for others as opposed to just doing them for myself. I decided to use it for personal use, which decreased the importance of some features like automatic fabric advance and a computerized system. I felt they were more 'production' oriented than I needed.

Bobbins for these machines are either going to be L or M (the larger) - I've heard good and bad about both, but figured I'd deal within the constraints of which ever machine I finally chose.

My list of features, by importance, came down to:

1. Stitch regulator - I can always turn it off to manual, but can't turn it on if I don't have it. It cuts the productive learning curve for me.

2. Adjustable frame - I wanted the frame to adjust fairly easily, since I have arthritis in my lower back.

3. Company/Dealer - actually came in lower on the list for a longarm than for a computerized sewing machine for me. Longarms are different; the emphasis is more on servicing them yourself instead of having a dealer do it. I need to get parts and only worry about shipping the head back for something more drastic.

4. The package - I looked at the packages to see how many bells and whistles (stylus, laser light, etc.) were included to get me up & running right out of the gate.

My dream machine, hands down, would be the A1; since I'm only quilting for me, though, I had a hard time justifying that expense (to myself.) The Tin Lizzie met all my needs and at a much more realistic price point. It came with a stitch regulator, a laser light for pantographs, the cloth leaders and a very sturdy frame. I bought micro handles, the zippers for the leaders and a cone of thread to get going.

This is just the process I went through and what worked for me; your process may be different and perfect for you :wink: Drive as many as you can; that will do more to narrow it down than any other thing you can do.