Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Survey: Rate the features on a long arm >

Survey: Rate the features on a long arm

Survey: Rate the features on a long arm

Old 05-01-2010, 11:12 AM

If you had to rate the features on a long arm what would that list consist of? So many different options on the different machines. Would you agree the #1 feature is the quilting space, then a stitch regulator? Where does the bobbin size and
stylus fit in? Thread cutter, channel locks, and fabric advance? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Wow, that's a tough one without a price range or knowing the kind of quilting you plan to do, but I'll try.
#1-machine and dealer service
#2- ditto
#3- ditto
I've got an HQ16 and can stitch a 12" pattern. With robotics (ProStitcher, Qbot, etc), the size is immaterial if the robotics are set right and the stitch regulator is good. On the other hand, without robotics, I can't imagine how you'd stitch very far from the front without hurting your back. And they take a whole lot of room. I'm happy with my 16" and I"d be happy with 18" but I don't think I'd go larger.

A stitch regulator is nice, if it's a good one. If not, it's a pain. I like having an M bobbin. You can make channel locks simply by clamping the carriage, which I did before getting Qbot. Fabric advance would be lovely, but probably way out of my price range. Stylus? Unless you're using the channel boards or something like that (and the styli for those are pretty much particular to the company that makes the boards), I'd think you'd be better off with a laser light, but those are also available as add-ons, so not a big deal.

Are you looking at a commercial machine (Gammill, APQS, A-1, etc.)? If not, the frame should be a real consideration. It's important that it be rigid and solid.

Tell us more about your plans, and folks who know more than I do will probably chime in!

--Heidi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32113973@N05/
Old 05-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Am going to the quilt show in Kansas this next weekend - just trying to get all my "thoughts together" before going. I'm ready to buy (just not my bank account) am thinking tops $15,000. Want something I can do a 12" block comfortably - even if I'm at the end of the quilt.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Didn't notice that you're in Nebraska! Whereabout? My husband's family lived in Comstock and retired in Ord.

I'd love to get to that show sometime!

--Heidi

Old 05-02-2010, 05:30 AM

North Platte. Gosh now I don't know if I will get to the show, husbands work schedule problems
Originally Posted by rabbit2b
Didn't notice that you're in Nebraska! Whereabout? My husband's family lived in Comstock and retired in Ord.

I'd love to get to that show sometime!

--Heidi

Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 AM

We researched machines for a couple of years, so I understand information overload :lol: We went to a couple of shows, and played with the machines that were set up so I could eliminate the ones that didn't 'feel' right for me - that narrowed down my throat space too, since some of the bigger ones were hard for me to use.

I also had to decide if I wanted to pursue doing quilts for others as opposed to just doing them for myself. I decided to use it for personal use, which decreased the importance of some features like automatic fabric advance and a computerized system. I felt they were more 'production' oriented than I needed.

Bobbins for these machines are either going to be L or M (the larger) - I've heard good and bad about both, but figured I'd deal within the constraints of which ever machine I finally chose.

My list of features, by importance, came down to:

1. Stitch regulator - I can always turn it off to manual, but can't turn it on if I don't have it. It cuts the productive learning curve for me.

2. Adjustable frame - I wanted the frame to adjust fairly easily, since I have arthritis in my lower back.

3. Company/Dealer - actually came in lower on the list for a longarm than for a computerized sewing machine for me. Longarms are different; the emphasis is more on servicing them yourself instead of having a dealer do it. I need to get parts and only worry about shipping the head back for something more drastic.

4. The package - I looked at the packages to see how many bells and whistles (stylus, laser light, etc.) were included to get me up & running right out of the gate.

My dream machine, hands down, would be the A1; since I'm only quilting for me, though, I had a hard time justifying that expense (to myself.) The Tin Lizzie met all my needs and at a much more realistic price point. It came with a stitch regulator, a laser light for pantographs, the cloth leaders and a very sturdy frame. I bought micro handles, the zippers for the leaders and a cone of thread to get going.

This is just the process I went through and what worked for me; your process may be different and perfect for you :wink: Drive as many as you can; that will do more to narrow it down than any other thing you can do.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 AM

1. Hydraulic lift.
2. Smoothness of glide.
3. Stitch Regulator (with a cruise control)

1& 2 have to do with saving your body. Machine quilting is very physical. I can take a toll on you. I wouldn't do without the stitch regulator either, but if I had to give up something, that would be it.

As for the cruise control, check it out in the A1 booth. It does make a difference.

Roben is right about service. On a longarm, you do most of your own maintenance. It's not that hard, and there's lots of help from your dealer and other longarm users.

Have fun in your search, and PM me if you have questions about the A1!! (Not affiliated, just a really happy customer!)
Old 05-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Thank you, thank you the just the type of info I'm looking for.