View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 AM
virtualbernie

I would like to have learned about the importance of the supplies being used. For years I just used quilting needles that I could buy at Joanns or Walmart. After a day or 2 of quilting, it was almost like I was quilting with a curved needle. Needless to say, I was going through needles like there was no tomorrow! I recently visited my LQS and bought some John James of England needles--like quilting through butter, what a difference and they haven't bent on me either! I would also talk about the different types of thimbles. I personally like the smooth underthimble that sticks to your finger tips so the needle slides off the thimble without sticking into the finger. Being a diabetic I stick my fingers enough without the added extra. :) On my upper hand I use the Ultra Thimble (has little grooves in it) to help push the needle through the fabric or the leather pads that stick on the end of your finger. The important thing is to try different types of thimbles to see which one is more comfortable for you. Also I cut the fingers off latex exam gloves and use them on my fingers to help pull the needle through the fabric. It all boils down to personal preference and trial and error. For me, I like to feel where the needle is and with regular thimbles I wasn't able to do that and my stitches were horrible! I also keep reading glasses handy to better keep my stitches on the straight and narrow :D