Thread: Isn't this odd?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Janeen
Banned

Originally Posted by bettlove
Well, pardon me!
Please, don't take offense... we all know exactly where you are coming from.... and if you can afford those nicer materials, that's great...
frankly we ALL would love to be able to go in a quilt shop - ooooo and aaaaah and pick out what we need for a project or three without concern over costs - believe me, I've seen some stuff just in Hancocks that I would ABSOLUTELY love to have - but it is $8 a yard (the new music fabric - it's to die for)

but, right now, I want to have this HUGE stash because my husband and I both are getting to where we cannot just jump in the car and run down to the stores... aside from money concerns, we live 85 miles from decent fabric stores.....

And we all know you are right in that some of the $1 and $2 fabric isn't worth the time or effort .... but what it is good for is for the folks just starting who are scared to death to cut their $$ fabric for fear of ruining it...
In those cases spending money on the really cheap stuff IS worth it - because you gain confidence and skills working with it....

and I do recommend that someone just starting grab a few yards of wallyworld fabric and have at it.... learn how to use the rotary cutter, learn how to eyeball a quarter inch seam, learn how to rip a seam without ruining the fabric, learn all kinds of stuff... make a wall hanging, a lap quilt, etc then "go for the gold" once you have the confidence!

There's nothing like a great looking wall hanging to give you some much needed confidence!

I see so many comments on here like "I'm afraid to cut the material"....
so - get something from the markdown (the usual quilter's stuff from Wallyworld marked down to a dollar a yard) and get to cutting!

Learn how to use templates, learn how to cut strips, get busy!!

If you hate it - hide it! If you love it - show it off!

:mrgreen: