Thread: guild ??
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
barbsbus

I beong to the Sun Country Quilters in Red Bluff, CA. We have a fairly large group, I think we have about 250 actuve members. We meet on the 4th Monday evening of each month. There is always some kind of program. Some times it is a sew-in when we work on community quilts. Last month was a fun Quilt-a-thon. There was 16 teams of three who raced to put a mystery quilt top together and the tops will be quilted this month by volunteers and then the quilts will be given to various organizations such as adult services and child protective services. The teams were cheered on by the quild members and fat quaarter prizes were given for different judging as first, second and third place finishers, best colors, most accurate piecing, etc. It was a lot of fun. I was one of the on lookers. We also have one meeting to make blocks for the community quilts and the blocks are then put together by a group that meets weekly to assemble the quilts. I have to be close to home as DH needs constant care but I bring home work to do. When I am able I try to go to these meetings, it is almost like a quilting bee. We have many wonderful speakers on all kinds of subjects and trunk shows by members. We always have show and tell each meeting. Of course we have refreshments and every two years we have a hugh quilt show for a weekend and open to the public. It is a big event. The quilts are displayed with props, very perfessionally done, we have venders, a gift shop with members' handiwork and books and magazines and trunk shows, demonstrations on different ways of quilting, piecing, etc. and we have an area where the public actually design a block with precut 2 1/2"
fabric squares on felt boards and quild members sew nine patches that will become community quilt tops.
As all groups sometimes there are some clicks but the group as a whole are very friendly and non polictial. We change officers every year . .
Our guild even has a website: http://www.suncountryquilters.com and a monthly newsletter and we also give scholarship to high school graduates.