Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
guild ?? >

guild ??

guild ??

Old 11-07-2017, 11:55 PM

Best thing to do about knowing guild is to ask if you can come to guild of your choice as a quest and see if it's for you.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:52 AM

I think that like a lot of things, its all in finding a guild that is a good fit for you. I used to belong to a huge guild here that was not very welcoming and pretty much ignored anyone who wasn't an experienced quilter. I was a member for a few years mostly because they had good programs and workshops. After a while, I lost interest and quit paying dues. Last night I went to a guild meeting that I really enjoyed. There seemed to be people at all levels of experience and I felt very welcomed and really enjoyed it. I even signed up for a workshop! It can take a few tries to find the one (or two) that you like.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:19 AM

I joined a guild a few years back, but unfortunately, the meetings were at night and were held at a place that is an hour's drive from my house, through dark, winding roads. I ended up not going to any meetings. The drive was just too scary. I did get the newsletter and they had some great speakers and a quilters' retreat that looked wonderful. Perhaps I'll rethink it and join again if they change to daytime gatherings. I would suggest that you try it. You might make a new friend, or two.

~C
Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 AM

As with all things, not every guild is for everyone. I belong to two guilds, both good people, both fairly welcoming. The smaller of the two guilds is more "open" to newcomers, but that means that because there are fewer members it is easier to get to know the other members.

The other group is bigger and a bit harder to fit into initially, but persistence does pay off. It also helps to volunteer to do something, but only if you can actually do it.

Tessagin: One member of the second group has been a member of that group for 20 years. She is a complainer, has envy issues, and listening to her you'd think she has the worst troubles in the entire world. If you meet someone like her at your first meeting, you will get the wrong impression of the guild. Note that this one person isn't a bad person once you get past all her armor, but it is tiring to spend much time with her.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:12 PM

As with all things, not every guild is for everyone. I belong to two guilds, both good people, both fairly welcoming. The smaller of the two guilds is more "open" to newcomers, but that means that because there are fewer members it is easier to get to know the other members.

The other group is bigger and a bit harder to fit into initially, but persistence does pay off. It also helps to volunteer to do something, but only if you can actually do it.

Tessagin: One member of the second group has been a member of that group for 20 years. She is a complainer, has envy issues, and listening to her you'd think she has the worst troubles in the entire world. If you meet someone like her at your first meeting, you will get the wrong impression of the guild. Note that this one person isn't a bad person once you get past all her armor, but it is tiring to spend much time with her.