Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: guild ??

Can someone explain what a quilting guild is please. What do you usually do in a guild? How do you join etc..

Thanks

I am a member of the Golden Rand Guild in Johannesburg. It is like a club for quilters and organises quarterly meeting where we have a show and tell (you bring your quilts for people to see), a brief talk from someone - generally about quilting but could be something of interest to quilters - we had one about ergonomics to prevent backstrain/wrist strain etc. The local shops also are at the quarterly meetings so you can shop and catch up with people who don't live too close to you. They also act as a communicator regarding home clubs, and charity drives.

We are having an National quilt festival in September and my guild is the organisers this year.

They are great "clubs" to belong to ... you get lots of nice input and help with quilting issues - very much like this board!

Suggest you join one near you - they are not expensive to join (well at least in South Africa they aren't) and can lead you to meeting a lot of people with quilting as their hobby/passion/obsession.

Blog Entries
    I haven't had a great experience with a guild.
    Here in Memphis, we seem to have "snooty" guilds. All are longarmers or machine quilters, etc.
    The fee was $25 to join and then $10 per meeting.
    There was show and tell and a local quilt show (which also cost to attend)

I have friends I quilt with, and we invite everyone we meet who shows the least bit of interest! We know have about 10 in the group, we meet off and on Saturday mornings from 9:30 to noon. We quilt around a frame and bring our latest show and tell projects. We are all beginners, so there is only friendship and not criticism.

If you are in Memphis area, pm me and I'll issue you an invite!

Purple

Thanks! Everytime I'm in Hancock someone asks if I'm in a guild and I really didn't know what "guild" meant.

Purple, I'm in FL, but thanks.

I've avoided finding a guild . . .I've been afraid that it would become a very competitve forum and I quilt for relaxation. I'd be glad to hear otherwise from you ladies (and gents) who do belong to guilds.

There is a small guild in the tiny town that I live in and I know almost everyone there. I went a few times, but I found it a waste of time and almost everything they talked about, I had already learned from my daughter. However, I went to a few retreats that her guild goes on and I enjoyed them very much. I wish she were still in So. California so we could still go - But she had to go and move!!

I beong to the Sun Country Quilters in Red Bluff, CA. We have a fairly large group, I think we have about 250 actuve members. We meet on the 4th Monday evening of each month. There is always some kind of program. Some times it is a sew-in when we work on community quilts. Last month was a fun Quilt-a-thon. There was 16 teams of three who raced to put a mystery quilt top together and the tops will be quilted this month by volunteers and then the quilts will be given to various organizations such as adult services and child protective services. The teams were cheered on by the quild members and fat quaarter prizes were given for different judging as first, second and third place finishers, best colors, most accurate piecing, etc. It was a lot of fun. I was one of the on lookers. We also have one meeting to make blocks for the community quilts and the blocks are then put together by a group that meets weekly to assemble the quilts. I have to be close to home as DH needs constant care but I bring home work to do. When I am able I try to go to these meetings, it is almost like a quilting bee. We have many wonderful speakers on all kinds of subjects and trunk shows by members. We always have show and tell each meeting. Of course we have refreshments and every two years we have a hugh quilt show for a weekend and open to the public. It is a big event. The quilts are displayed with props, very perfessionally done, we have venders, a gift shop with members' handiwork and books and magazines and trunk shows, demonstrations on different ways of quilting, piecing, etc. and we have an area where the public actually design a block with precut 2 1/2"
    fabric squares on felt boards and quild members sew nine patches that will become community quilt tops.
    As all groups sometimes there are some clicks but the group as a whole are very friendly and non polictial. We change officers every year . .
    Our guild even has a website: http://www.suncountryquilters.com and a monthly newsletter and we also give scholarship to high school graduates.

Some stores will offer a 10% discount if you're a guild member, so maybe that's why they ask you.
    I've been members of 2 different guilds for many years, and think it is mostly a rewarding experience. Yes there are people there who aren't my first choice of friends, but then there are wonderful people there who will do anything for those less fortunate and offer help any time it's needed. I also belong to a group of 8 ... all originally met through my guild.

I'm a member of a "Night" guild (there's a "Day" guild too :-) ). I joined to learn more about quilting. The members are all very nice but the quilt police also attend. :( It seems very cliquey too, but that may be because I'm a younger member and most ladies have known each other for MANY years. I like it because there are some members who are SOOOOO talented - and who are so willing to teach those willing to learn! They're just like the ladies here...
    I have heard that there is an applique society here in town and to join you must be invited!?! But then again, they're work is very nice...

I belong to a guild of about 60 members. We meet once a month and the membership is $12 a year (no charge to attend the meeting). It's a lovely group of people who welcomes everyone with encouragement. I'm sorry that some people have had bad experiences at guilds, but I encourage everyone to attend a few meetings at their local guild before deciding whether or not to join. A guild can be a great place to learn, regardless of what level quilter you are, and also a place to meet people who share your interest in quilting.

I used to belong to two guilds in Texas I loved the one and the other I didn't care for much but i just joined one in Ontario by my cottage and I just love it the women are great. I think guilds are great if you have a good mix of women. I really missed being part of a guild as you can take classes and do challenges and they have a quilt show to be part of usually.
    Dawn

I forgot to post a link for you to look at LOL
    I just joined mine here in Canada as I have been here for 2 years without being part of a group and very excited to find one, heres the link so you can have an idea what a guild is
    http://www.pinetreequiltersguildofmuskoka.com/

American Quilt Society? That sounds nice! We have one local quild, based on what I hear it's pretty good sized complete with a website, but they meet during the day when I am knee deep in my "mommy duties" I wish they had a night section too. :(

sewnsewer2, where in fl are you located? I'm here too, and so is Moonpi. I doubt you're by me, as I wouldn't be able to find a Hancocks even with a map and a compass from where I live. But maybe someone else?

I feel a bit shy with my work, everyone is always so nice here, I don't feel I need to worry of "that's horrible and so ...untraditional" or something, even now I think I've found the right longarmer, but don't feel ready to CALL and would rather email....

Lorretta I had a membership with them until I moved back to Canada so I join the Canadian quilters assoc. They are both a great organization.
    Dawn

Hi Sewnsewer!
    I belong to TLC Quilters guild, and am a past board member of the Southern California of Quilt Guilds.
    Our dues are $25/year, no fee per meeting. I think we have over 100 members, and I've heard from many of our guest speakers & quilt show vendors that we are one of the friendliest guilds they've been to! (I suppose they could just be being nice, but I think they're right!) Each month we have a different program, once a year we have a potluck & in December we have a big holiday party! We have door prizes & show & tell & refreshments & all kinds of other fun stuff. Many months we offer low cost workshops or classes taught by that month's speaker or one of our many talented guild members. We do have some shy members, who would rather not stand up to show their work...but we don't mind if they have someone else do it for them! That way we can still cheer for them!
    We also ask each member to donate one quilt per year for our philanthropy work. These are donated to a local women's shelter, police & fire depts, and now, to one of the organizations that gives them to our soldiers.
    We also have a monthly newsletter & a website. If you would like to look at some of the newsletters, they are also posted on the website. (They are a bit slow to load, but I haven't figured out how to fix that yet!).
    The guild website is: www.tlcquilters.org
    The So. Calif. Council website is: www.sccqg.org

Thank you everyone for all the great info on guilds!

Elizabeth, I'm in central FL by Cocoa Beach. Hancock is 2-1/2 miles from home.

Blog Entries
    I belong to the Hammersmith Gild we meet once a month and are off for the summer we put on a show every two years in Oct. We have classes and trips some for the wwekend others for the day. I can always fine someone to help me out sicen we are 100 strong and have a waiting list to join.

I belong to the Hammersmith Gild we meet once a month and are off for the summer we put on a show every two years in Oct. We have classes and trips some for the wwekend others for the day. I can always fine someone to help me out sicen we are 100 strong and have a waiting list to join.
    Quilt4you,
    What kind of weekend classes and trips do you do? That sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Some stores will offer a 10% discount if you're a guild member, so maybe that's why they ask you.
    I've been members of 2 different guilds for many years, and think it is mostly a rewarding experience. Yes there are people there who aren't my first choice of friends, but then there are wonderful people there who will do anything for those less fortunate and offer help any time it's needed. I also belong to a group of 8 ... all orignally met through my guild.
    The guild here (though I am not a part of it) gets a 20% off discount in the stores. As a quilting instructor I get a 20% discount too as well as my students. I love it!

Blog Entries
    Shop Hops ,Bus tours, Quilt get aways, classas are making all different quilts We had this year a milldalion mistrey quilt I was in that one and it will be in the show

Blog Entries
    We also get a 20% off in quilt shops. We also have a block a month program I just won a fat quter an a 5$gift card fro doing all the blocks for the season we have a drawing each month to see who will get the blocks each month

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingchic
    Lorretta I had a membership with them until I moved back to Canada so I join the Canadian quilters assoc. They are both a great organization.
    Dawn
    Its a shame you didn't make it to the CQA quilt conference this year!!! Its here in St. John's this week! I am going with the rest of our Thursday night quilting group tonight. We are meeting for supper first at Pasta Plus restaurant then heading over to the university to see what we can find!!! We are really looking forward to seeing the Merchant's Market! I was chatting with a few girls from the Singer Sewing World store not far from the office here the other day and they said the Merchant's Market was incredible!! I was warned to hang on to my money cause there will be sooooooo many things you will want to buy and may find yourself broke before the end of the night!!!!

Have you been to any of their conferences before? I wanted to do one or two of their workshops, but first, where I wasn't a CQA member, those members got first dibs on registering for the workshops first. When I was ready to register, the courses I wanted were filled :( Not to mention the workshops were very costly. I did find out back in February though, that some of the instructors (that are here from around the world) will be spending more time here on the island and offering workshops in some of the quilt shops. I am attending a landscape wallhanigng workshop on Monday. I am taking Monday off work to do this course. I can't WAIT!! I will be shown how to do more creative FM embroidery and thread painting which is something I always wanted to try!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt4u
    We also get a 20% off in quilt shops. We also have a block a month program I just won a fat quter an a 5$gift card fro doing all the blocks for the season we have a drawing each month to see who will get the blocks each month
    Oh that sounds like so much fun!!! I don't have the time to join our guild here. I know many of the guild members as I used to work in a quilt store here years ago. Another reason I haven't joined is because of a nasty nasty evvvil EX-MIL!!! Mind you, she has been my ex MIL for about 8 years now and she loathes the ground I stand on.... the woman is very very childish and immature and loves to put me down every chance and opportunity she can. The last time she tried that was at the quilt store a few years ago. She tried to embarass me in front of her friends, but I had enough of her crap and I put her in her place and embarassed her in front of her friends. She never came back to that store again!! LOL I wouldn't care WHAT she said to me now, but I still don't wish to join. I don't wish to cause a scene, cause I know I would say something to her again if I had to.

But after saying that all, another reason I haven't joined is because I just dont' have the time!! Between working on my designs to sell, prepping projects and lessons plan for teaching, teaching :) and just general fun, I don't have time. Maybe one of these days I might do so when things maybe slow down for me... hee hee don't see that happening anytime soon!!

Until then, I consider this place here to be the BEST guild of all!!! You don't have to wait one day out of each month to meet, you can come here all day all night 365 days 24/7!!! Everyone is sooooooooooo nice and supportive and inspirational!! Its just a shame we all couldn't be closer together!! Just THINK of the fun retreats and sewing sessions we could all have!!! What fun!

I joined our local quilt guild two years ago and I just love being a member. Our website is www.towpathquiltguild.org/
    We still have some charter members actively involved. There is such a wealth of talent in this guild and yet no one is ever made to feel "unworthy". There are workshops offered that are either free (if members are teaching) or a ridiculously inexpensive fee ($25 for a 3 hour class). i like the idea that we do worthwhile service projects, such as quilts to the military or lap quilts to nursing homes. The guild has brought in some well known speakers, such as Carol Taylor. Our Holiday Party is the biggest social event of the year and is so much fun. And, guess who offered to be the chairperson for the 2008 Holiday Party? You guessed it, "Yours Truly". Should be fun. We have a big quilt show every two years and our next one is Spring 2009. It is a really nice show, but alot of work to put together. I would know, because I helped with the last one. I could go on and on about Towpth Quilt Guild, but I'll spare you. But, please, take a peek at the website and I think it will give you a good idea of how fortunate I am to be a member of this organization :wink: Nita

Quilting Aggi
    That would of been so nice to go. I hope one year I can make it when it is held closer to me. It would of been nice to go back to Newfoundland as it has been years since I lived there In Gander. I have not taken any class with them but I have been very lucky to Take a lot of great classes with well known quilters when I liven in Austin and I got to go to the Houston show twice.
    I did try to do the challenge one year but I was too late there were no more packages left but i should try again LOL
    Dawn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast