Thread: Quilt as a Gift
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
hazeljane

I send off my quilts with the request that if the person who gets it does not want to use it, that they pass it along to someone who will. For me, the saddest thing of all, especially in a child's quilt, is to be put on the shelf to "keep for good". I want them used, abused, taken outside, made forts with, and loved. If they can't be by the person getting them, I want them passed along.

I also think, at the risk of sounding like a geezer, that the Gen X generation has not been taught to say thank you. (there certainly are exceptions, and I don't want to condemn a whole generation). My husband's granddaughter is 20 years old. I gave her a vintage and very cute set of dishes, and bedding, etc. She moved out of her house and left it all behind. It never even occurred to her that I would be hurt by that. It's a generation of disposable products, in some way. My daughter is 25 and not like this, but then, she was raised to be aware of the gifts given to her, and the blessings she has had in her life.