Thread: Quilt as a Gift
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 AM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by CAROLJ
My mother in law gave my gift back to me two years later.
:shock: :shock: :shock: That is horrible. Several of you say that once you give a gift it belongs to the recipient and if a thank you isn't forthcoming...oh well.

I must admit that you are more gracious than I would be. I would vow never to make them anything in the future. Nonquilters may not know exactly how much money and time go into a quilt, but they surely know that it didn't make itself and can pretty well guess that a considerable amount of time went into making it. I guess if I'm not so forgiving I will have to be careful to make a quilt only for someone I am sure would be appreciative.
I got a pineapple-crocheted bedspread that was made by MIL's grandmother - a true heirloom. It sat in a pillow case in a closet for quite a few years. Since we have cats with lethal claws and black dogs, I realized that I would never put the piece out. So I gave it back. I'd rather see the piece put out somewhere where it is appreciated and loved. Same with a quilt. I'd rather get a quilt back than find it used as a drop cloth or a dog bed.