Thread: Quilt as a Gift
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM
JoAnnGC

My first mother-in-law used to make beautiful clothing and quilts for my children. One of the quilts she made for my daughter was made from hand-embroudered and cross-stitched panels that she and her sisters worked on when they were children. There were thirteen children in their family and the mother taught them to keep their hands busy to help them stay out of trouble. Mina (my MIL) kept these panels for many, many years. She had four boys who were not interested in such "girly" things. Finally when my daughter was born she had someone to whom she could bestow this heirloom and she pieced the panels together and made a gorgeous quilt. This quilt bridged all four generations together and there would never be enough words to thank all the hands that helped to create it. It was well-loved by my little girl Hilary for many years. Unfortunately this quilt, along with many other prized possessions, was destroyed when we had a terrible fire in our home in NY about 15 years ago. My daughter who is now a grown woman still talks about that quilt and asked me to try to make a replica for her to give to her children some day. I don't know if her Grandma who passed away several years ago ever realized how much that quilt was treasured and how much it is missed. I guess my point is that sometimes it takes some time before a quilt or any other handmade work of art finds its place in someone's heart. Just ask any art or music historian about some of the world's great artists and composers who suffered during their lifetimes from their work being rejected by so many but who are now held in such high esteem. When you give the gift of a quilt just do so joyfully knowing how much you enjoyed the process of creating it and assuming that someday, maybe in the far off future, someone will love it as much as you do. Don't worry that your gift does not seem to be appreciated as much as you think it deserves to be. Just know that someday it will be.