Thread: Quilt as a Gift
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM
crazicorn

Originally Posted by sss
Has anyone ever given a quilt as a gift to someone and after giving the quilt gift you hardly get a thank you? I just don't think people realize the time, work, thought and worry that you put into each quilt you do, especially when it is for someone you think is going to love it. I just finished a retirement quilt for a friend who I work with. We have worked together for 10 yrs. Her thank you to me was, "Your quilt was a big hit!"
Any thoughts on this? I know I should not be upset but I am.
I guess my big question to you is what kind of thank you are you looking for? I don't mean to sound heartless but I've found that unless people make things themselves (any craft, not just quilts), they are not going to thoroughly understand all that went into it.

A simple thank you or in your case the quilt being a big hit, would be more than acceptable for me. I give because I so enjoy the giving. I don't expect a thank you, however I won't turn one down. I give to some individuals knowing they will never appreciate the gift as much as another might, but it makes me feel good to give it anyway. If I didn't get pleasure out of gifting or did it only to get praise, I'd probably stop quilting altogether. What would be the point in just piling up quilts in my own closet? :)