Thread: Quilt as a Gift
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:38 AM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by sss
Has anyone ever given a quilt as a gift to someone and after giving the quilt gift you hardly get a thank you? I just don't think people realize the time, work, thought and worry that you put into each quilt you do, especially when it is for someone you think is going to love it. I just finished a retirement quilt for a friend who I work with. We have worked together for 10 yrs. Her thank you to me was, "Your quilt was a big hit!"
Any thoughts on this? I know I should not be upset but I am.
Unfortunately, not everyone appreciates quilts OR are uncomfortable letting you know how much they appreciate the quilt. I'm very selective with whom I will give a quilt to for that reason - my hubby, children and grandchildren. I did make gorgeous throws for each of my inlaws and I know they liked them but later learned they were used to cover up the furniture in their FL home while they are in the north for the summer. After that, it's immediate family only as I know they love and treasure my quilts.

I'm positive that your quilt is loved and treasured and that perhaps the recipient honestly doesn't know how to show it adequately. That is often the case. It's also possible that they have no clue the amount of time, effort and love that went into the creation of your lovely quilt. You made it out of love and generosity so please feel good about that. Assume the quilt is loved, treasured, and honored and don't dwell on it. Some people honestly can't and don't make a fuss over gifts as they are uncomfortable doing so. My inlaws are very conservative that way but due their being so conservative with their appreciation, I don't want to make anything for them. My kids, on the other hand, make a big deal over my quilts and I know beyond a doubt they are loved, treasured and wear out but they are used and they tell me that every time they wrap up in one of my quilts, they feel my love and that's how it should be.