Thread: Quilt as a Gift
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:50 AM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by gingerella
It's worse when it's your daughter. I promised myself no more quilts for her - I find them on the floor- being walked on, hanging up to cover the window when the room was being painted, etc.

But then, last year she asked me for one I was making and I can't refuse. So yes, she has two more. At least I find them (or one of them) on her bed once in a while.
My daughter's quilts get very HARD use and ABUSE but they are used, loved and treasured. Her family (hubby & 4 children) use my quilts exclusively but they are still beautiful though beginning to show the wear after 20 + years and last summer I had to mend a couple for her but mending 3 over the years of such hard use is also quite a testament to my workmanship. My quilts are tents, drug around the house by the 4 children, used in tug of wars, etc and it's amazing how beautiful they still are today. 2 of her quilts are now showing signs of fabric rotting and it was heartbreaking to see her reaction when I tried to mend them last summer. When you hold the quilt to stitch and the finger goes through the fabric, it's about had it but i did repair it best I could and told her use and enjoy them until they fall apart. I also took very detailed photos and may see about rebuilding them or doing better ones as I'm a much better quilter than years ago. It was fascinating to see how my style and technique has evolved over the years.

My daughter in law loves and treasures my quilts so much that they are rarely used. She truly does love and treasure them and doesn't want them to wear out. Bless her heart. She and my daughter actually had quite a heated argument one day over who loves and treasures my quilts more and I had to intervene between these two best friends. It's wonderful that she treasures my quilts but my daughters children are growing up wrapped in grammy's love every single day while her children see the "don't touch quilts as we have to keep them pretty because Grammy put so much hard work into them." It's a tough call, you know. My daughter's family's quilts will wear out and my son's children will have their quilts looking like new. I have very mixed feelings about it. I love that she treasures my "heirlooms" so much that she wants to preserve them but the bond I have with my daughter's 4 children is so amazing and I know a huge part of it is the love they feel using my quilts daily. Each grandchild came home from the hospital wrapped in a hand quilted Grammy quilt.