Thread: Quilt as a Gift
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 AM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I look at it as the gift was my time and thoughts. And because it is a gift, I can let go when I give it. I made my husband's two grandbabies quilts, and I am just starting to get to know his kids. (His ex-wife has made sure it's not comfortable for ANYONE to be friendly with me) My husband took them when he went to visit at Easter. They were a huge hit with the girls, and his daughter in law thanked him to pass along to me, but that's it. And you know, I'd make them quilts again, because it is not about the thanks I get, it is about the joy I feel in making them and giving them love.

I understand why people are hurt, but for me, it's part of letting go as I get older.I don't take on other people's rudeness or let it affect my actions. Life is too short to feel that kind of resentment. If my quilts get used, I'm happy.
I totally agree with you. I had a very hard time making quilts for my son's children due to my wonderful daughter in law's attitude BUT as I've given each of their 3 children their quilts, the love, joy and bonding that has happened with the presentation of each is something that can't ever be replaced. One day, they will get to have those quilts to enjoy and hopefully they'll remember the love and joy we experienced the day I gave them to them. I will say that although my daughter in law protects those quilts, she does sit with me and talk to them about how much time, work, love, skill, and talent has gone into each quilt. She truly does love, appreciate and admire my quilting skills. I just wish the children would be allowed to enjoy using the quilts more but on the other hand, when they go to college, each will have a quilt to use on their bed in the dorm; when they have their first baby, each will be able to use the baby quilt that was made for them with love for their own babies and that's not a bad thing either. My daughter's childrens quilts may be worn out by that time although they have worn amazingly for so many years now.

You make the quilt with love, you give it with love and although you may never know for sure, I bet those quilts are all very loved and treasured. One thing about it, the quilts given to my son's family will be known by a future generation and that's not a bad thing either.