Thread: Quilt as a Gift
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:02 AM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by Mamagus
I give my quilts to people I LIKE. It is my way of saying, "Here, I like you so you have the great honour of one of quilts being in your life. Cherish it or chuck it, it is yours and I am happy to have made it for you."
Now having said that DH keeps asking me to make a quilt for his daughter. She is thirty, has a great job and lives in another province and has never in the 6 years I have known him, sent him a birthday card, Father's Day card, Christmas card and of course never a gift either... so let me tell you I don't LIKE the selfish little %&!@* (rhymes with witch). She's on my list but I am hoping he forgets he has ever mentioned it!

I am making a lap quilt for a friend who is retiring from my old school, and I LIKE her. That's enough for me.
Just my opinion on this, if you make her a quilt, you are doing it out of love for your husband and that's worth a lot! I'd do it, no matter how much you don't want to do it. Do it out of love for your husband and who knows, it could bring rewards beyond your dreams. Seriously. If it doesn't, you've honored your husbands wishes and loved him enough to do it for him and that's huge right there. As you work on it, think of your love for him and pour that love into the quilt - it could come back to both of you with huge rewards. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I didn't want to make for my son's children and my husband pushed me to do so. I'm so glad I did even though I had a rough time doing so and believed they wouldn't be appreciated but they are and I do know that some major bonding took place as each grandchild got their special grammy quilt. Sometimes in life, we just have to do a labor of love for our hubby's that we may not really want to do. Enjoy your quilting and pour all of your love into it that you can and that love may come back and it may not but you will have loved your hubby enough to do it - just my opinion.