Thread: What to do now?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 05:20 AM
clem55

Four children, two GC old enough for these new "toys". Grandson jumped in the pool with his first one, got replaced, second one he left laying in the dugout after a ballgame, gone when he returned to look. That one replaced, but using his own money. He is much more careful now! My own children would not have been given something that expensive in the first place, after all, they don't need the best of everything. They learned to do without, and if they wanted something bad enough, they saved their money to buy it. Many times, we would give them the amount we felt was reasonable, and if they wanted better, they had to earn the money for it. My daughter did baby-sitting in JR. high for her extras, and the three boys were mowing, raking and shoveling when they were 12 to earn their spending money. ( I am likely to help out grandkids, but that is different!LOL) When the kids were old enough to drive, they had to pay for gas and their share of car insurance. I have to say, they all grew up to be very responsible adults, and they understand the value of a dollar. Personally, I dont see why a 11 year old even needs a cell phone.