Thread: Quilt as a Gift
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 03:49 AM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by AVQuilter
I made a twin quilt for my niece a year ago. The deal was we would meet for lunch and give it to her...a year ago. That did not work out and other times have not to work out so I am keeping this quilt until they come and pick it up!!
Now our son who is 42 was in tears with happiness for the quilt I sent him...
My attitude is I do what works for me...learn my lessons and move on.
Years ago I made a quilt for our oldest niece's first child. I asked my sister in law (the grandmother) first if she was going to be making the child a quilt and was told no so I figured it would be ok to go ahead and make the quilt. The Mom was thrilled to get the quilt but I was scolded by my mother in law for making that baby a quilt - scolded. I had initially planned to make a baby quilt for every new baby that a niece or nephew blessed the family with but never made another one after that. I still don't understand why I was scolded for it. My sister in law and the Mom were thrilled that I did. Another time, my husband's aunt asked me to help her complete a quilt she started when she was a very young child, under 10 for sure, but the time never allowed us to get together to complete the quilt. She was fighting for her life with cancer and I got this strong feeling that if that quilt was going to finished, I needed to go ahead an do it and with working full time, it took me 2 full years to complete and we presented it to them and it happened to be on their 50th anniversary which we didn't know until they told us that day. Both his aunt and uncle were so thrilled and so touched that I had completed the quilt and today, she has since passed on, the daughter has the quilt in her home on the guest room bed where it is still treasured and honored. Again, my mother in law scolded me telling me I had no business finishing that quilt like did - I wonder if she was jealous. At that point in our lives, we obviously didn't get along very well but we do now. My inlaws always disapproved of my sewing. Having grown up in the depression, having store bought things are more meaningful to them. Having "home made items" is embarrassing and almost insulting and a sign of shame. I did make each of them beautiful throws which they did use for years. They recently sold most of their things and moved into a retirement living situation where they move up through the levels of care and I have no clue what became of those quilts. I would have loved to have had them back but never asked for them. When we were invited to view the items in their basement to take whatever we wanted, the quilts weren't there so I don't know if they kept them or gave them to one of the other kids and I don't want to ask. Perhaps one day we'll find out and perhaps not and it's ok either way. Since they were giving all of us back the gifts we'd given them over the years, I kind of assume they have them with them even though I didn't see them in their apartment but I also wasn't nosy when given the tour.