Thread: Quilt as a Gift
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 AM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by nantucketsue
Well I made one for my son and DIL for their wedding. I was asked to make a contemporary quilt with an autumn theme. It took me forever as it was all handquilted. My son appreciated the work that went into it but I wonder if they really liked it because it has never been seen since. I am now working on a wedding quilt for my other son and his wife, but I am worried that they will not like it and the same will happen. Here is a (not very good) photo of the first quilt, which granted is more a wall hanging than a bed quilt, but they did want contemporary.
Wow, your quilt is beautiful. I bet it comes out on cold evenings and they snuggle under it to watch TV together or perhaps it's used on a bed under the bedspread. I'm sure your son loves and appreciates your quilt. I know my son does but his wife won't let him use the quilts I've given him. She loves the quilts I make but doesn't want to wear them out so they don't get a lot of use. She and my daughter (best friends) actually got into a fight at a family gather over the use of the quilts. My daughter's family uses their quilts (hard use and abuse) but they love my quilts and those are the few I've had to do some minor mending on. I personally would prefer they be used and loved but sure can't argue with my daughter in law's philosophy either. I had to intervene that day to preserve their friendship and told them that they are both right. I also stated my preference is that they be used even if they do wear out but I also can't argue with a loved daughter in law who treasures my quilts to the point where she wants her children to know and appreciate my quilts, love them enough to keep them as heirlooms to be passed down through the generations. That's also a bit hard to argue with. When my daughter's quilts are worn out and gone, my son's children will have quilts to inherit.