View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 AM
wishiwerequilting

I have always used regular freezer paper, reynolds makes one and mine is bespak, they make products for canning and freezing. I have used plain old freezer paper since I started applique in the 80s. It is a lot cheaper. If I need it to go in the printer, I cut it to 8 1/2 x 11, works great.[/quote]

I'd like additional info on putting the regular freezer paper through the printer. Is it ironed on to anything before you feed it through?

For me personally, I don't have one favorite method that I always use. I switch it up depending upon the type of applique and the size of the pieces. Sometimes I use Freezer paper on top, sometimes for larger pieces, i may put it on the back side.
I find needle-turn very easy, but I have taught it and i know for some folks it is not easy. The best tools (proper applique needels and fine threads, good vision [ie: proper glasses or magnifiers] are quite essential IMO.
I use the fusibles when I am working with machine applique generally, with a satin stitch or decorative stitch to finish the edges. I like to use something that is not too stiff if i am going to use a fusible, like steam a seam lite.
Each project needs its own approach, IMO.