Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 AM
beachlady

Marsye, very interesting post. I used to send to anyone who asked for something, but rarely do now! Recently people were posting for another member saying that they really needed help. One of these, I even went shopping for the fabric (quilt shop quality) and spent LOTS of $ - even sent a pattern and I never got a thank you. Some one finally asked the person receiving the fabric and a weak thank you was posted with a list of at least 50 names. Wow what a haul was made. And I have never seen any thing posted with some thing made with the fabric.
So....needless to say I think twice now before sending.
Like others said - I was approached once in Philly for money - was in the drive-up lane of McDonalds, so I bought them a meal and they came around the pick up window and took it and I actually saw them throw it away - I am sure she wanted money to buy drugs. Also once in Boston a homeless person (looked like one at least) and asked for a specific amount to get on train to get home and I gave it to her and when I was in the same place at the end of the day the same girl was there still asking and approached me again for money - I laughed at my stupidity and walked on. My friend that was with me both times had the courage to say to me "I told you so!!" Live and learn.
I always look at the date someone joined now and just go on.