View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Suz

Thanks ladies! As many of you have learned, I am "appliquer" at heart.

One of my current projects is making an applique/pieced quilt that is dated 1860-1890. When I saw it, I knew I'd be making it. I must learn to take a digital and then how to post for you to see.

The blocks remaining to be made are pieced. (Of course, I did the two different applique blocks first.) The best description would be, if you can follow me, is 1/4 of a sunburst in three colors in seven rays. The smallest piece is about the size of your little fingernail. I plan to paperpiece these blocks as the three pieces in one ray are so small. Then four rays, radiate toward the center from the four corners. --- When you see this block(s) one has to wonder who a quilter from the 1800's was able to piece with such accuracy owing she did not have the tools and template plastic we use now. I stand in awe of her. No name accompanies it which is such a shame as she will not receive the accolades she had earned and deserves.

The quilt described is in plain fabrics, two pinks, two greens on a muslin background.

Regardless, the quilt at hand. As photographed, note that the top row, center flowers (blue on white), the stem is not a mirror image to its counterpart at the bottom. I would be interested in learning if the top row of flower groups (white on blue) is a mirror of the bottom row of white on blue.

Thanks again. Suzanne

Suzanne