Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen a pattern like this one?

I'm working on carefully repairing some of the wear on the stitching and applique. The only things I know for sure is that the quilt is at least 50 years old and was made in Ohio. Can anyone ID the pattern?

***An update in information! I've learned from a relative that the quilt was made approximately 80 years ago in Middletown, Ohio by Mary Elizabeth (Small) Booth. Still no idea of the pattern name or where she may have found it, but we're pretty sure that Mary Elizabeth wasn't the designer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't help, but just wanted to say, Thats a pretty quilt, I love the applique.

Blog Entries
    trace it. :-)

Thanks,,,, Patrice. That was a great idea.

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I could get into making one like that! WOW!!!

This may be an original design. i will look into my blocks books and see if it is listed. Only thing I might add would be to check with an antique quilt book or maybe APQS quilt restorer as to the best way to mend and determine the pattern used. I do know that any updates on fabric alter the date the quilt is valued at. The newer the fabric the newer the quilt and therefore the value would diminish. If you are serious about collecting you may want to consider this. Other than that....it is absolutely gorgeious and I , for one would love to have a copy of the pattern if you make one. Is that an eagle in the center?

Sandra, no it's all flowers. The blue ones are in 2 colors and measure 14" across. The smaller white ones are 10" across. The entire quilt is approximately 77 1/2" x 92" . The quilting is hard to see unless you download the pictures and scan around. It's a cornflower blue thread and the patterns are 8 sunbursts that meet with a sunflower-like pattern around the appliques. Unfortunately, there was no quilting done within the appliqued blocks and the batting's all wadded up in a few of those! I'll see what I can do about making a tracing and posting it.

Leslee downloaded the pic, the center bottom unit that needs repair...is what I wondered if was an eagle...can you determine what it may be? As to the quilting it is wonderful. Where/How did you come across this? Maybe there may be info you can find from them. If purchased @ antique shop there should be a record of the purchase and you can have them give your number to the party they purchased it from and request any info they may have. Even if it is from a family member you may be able to gleen something helpful. The devil may be in the details but you never know, you may find they may have kept the old sewing templates and/or design in with "grandma's" stuff.

I too like the pattern it very pretty and differnt. Sandra was right the tear in the bottom center does look like an eagle. If you get it traced would love a copy too

Dear Leslee, in todays paper, The San Antonio Express and News there was an article about a lady that knows about old quilts. She is a quilt collector. My husband already put the paper out for recycleing so I can't get it for you. I believe her name was Anne Kovel. Maybe you can get the article through the internet. Good luck, it looks like a beautiful quilt. Estella

If you are able to make a copy of the pattern, I would love to get a copy of it. It really is a lovely quilt.

To all who've asked--I'm going to take the measurements as best I can and do the tracing of the applique and quilt pattern(s). Patrice has offered her help (Thank you, Patrice--I'm most grateful!!!)

It's really lovely, would love the pattern :D

Thank you too Patrice for helping to share this pattern with all of us.

Ann

That is a beautiful quilt. If a pattern comes available, I would be interested in having it. Thanks, Ann

Sandra, You must have eyes of an eagle!!!! This quilt is beautiful. I also would love a copy of this pattern!

Not sure my eyes are that sharp...but imaginative sights come easy...love those clouds. Leslee was right it is a plain blue square...the tear as it is laid out in the pic however made me think it was an eagle...clouds again. i wonder anyone else got quilts with designs we wonder about? I, for one, find this search fascinating!

Suz
    What a beautiful find!! I too would be interested in a copy of the tracing. Would it be possible to trace the quilting lines as well?

There are Kovels (Ralph and Terry) who write a weekly column on antiques. Perhaps "Ann" is related???

Suzanne

Suz
    Me again! When studying this quilt, I noted the following:

1. The quilter used three blue flowers in the center of the quilt while the others have only two flowers; and

2. Note the placement of the stems and flowers, obviously the quilter turned the pattern over to achieve the symmetry.

Suzanne

Suz sharpe eye I hadn't noticed that.

When in was looking closer I notice that the 2 center groups on the top and bottom of the border are placed the same if you look at the side rows they are mirror images

ok....ok....! I didn't catch the center floral arrangement....I didn't think to note mirror images...to me it is a symmetrical obvious...Glad this is sparking so much interest.....Kind of like a forget me not quilt....

Sandra--YOU didn't notice??? I have the quilt right here in front of me and I never noticed there were 3 flowers in the center!!!! Great work, Suzanne!

Suz
    Thanks ladies! As many of you have learned, I am "appliquer" at heart.

One of my current projects is making an applique/pieced quilt that is dated 1860-1890. When I saw it, I knew I'd be making it. I must learn to take a digital and then how to post for you to see.

The blocks remaining to be made are pieced. (Of course, I did the two different applique blocks first.) The best description would be, if you can follow me, is 1/4 of a sunburst in three colors in seven rays. The smallest piece is about the size of your little fingernail. I plan to paperpiece these blocks as the three pieces in one ray are so small. Then four rays, radiate toward the center from the four corners. --- When you see this block(s) one has to wonder who a quilter from the 1800's was able to piece with such accuracy owing she did not have the tools and template plastic we use now. I stand in awe of her. No name accompanies it which is such a shame as she will not receive the accolades she had earned and deserves.

The quilt described is in plain fabrics, two pinks, two greens on a muslin background.

Regardless, the quilt at hand. As photographed, note that the top row, center flowers (blue on white), the stem is not a mirror image to its counterpart at the bottom. I would be interested in learning if the top row of flower groups (white on blue) is a mirror of the bottom row of white on blue.

Thanks again. Suzanne

Suzanne

Suz, I took a few shots of the borders folded to be beside each other. I think the quilter did her best to mirror the applique.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leslee, have pulled my old McCall Needlework mags from 1949-51 and have been searching them...no luck there , but have found some wonderful patterns. I did e-mail a couple of companies concerning the pattern offers listed in there. Yes! some of these are still around and expect to hear from them soon...if they have copy will let you know. Also could check in the Dayton papers or Cincinnati papers archives for mention of patterns. Two of the largest commercial quilt and pattern manufacturers main offices were in those towns. Quilt and search...quilt and search....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast