Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen a pattern like this one?

This is really fascinating. Not only did we see a beautiful pattern and old quilt but ar learning the history of quilts and pattern companies!

Isn't it fascinating? When I posted the pic, I thought everyone would write to say their grandmothers had made this pattern dozens of times. And there's something else I've learned and hoped this quilt will remind us of. Tho it's an old quilt and it's been often-used and well-loved, we can all see the damage that could have been avoided. Proper folding over the years and the right storage most likely would have stopped the holes and tears along the fold lines and the yellowed areas. Not leaving large areas unquilted would have avoided the cotton batt shift. And the rule I'm reminded of the most: DOCUMENT the quilt!! Put a date and a signature somewhere on it, your quilt may live for decades and become somebody's mystery!! :roll:

Good point! Over the years as my skills have grown, i've started trying (in some cases) to make a teeny replica of the block to use for the label and done just that. Put who it was for the date and my name. Its a quirk of mine--like a teeny Sunbonnet Sue or aq teeny fan like the bigger one. But it gives the quilt some more individuality that makes it exclusively for the recipient. Dating is so important! Its a shame, that more of the old ones weren't dated.
    I have what I think is old quilt in the closet. It has a crocheted afghan and cotton batting in the middle. I paid $25.00 for at a flea mkt in Hot Springs ARk 25 years ago. It is bad shape but I don't know what to do to fix it and hate to get rid of it because I think its really old. I wouldn't mind donating it to a museum but really don't know how to go about even doing that or if anyone would be interested.

Vicki, Check these sites for now....RockyMountainQuilts.com....or OldTrinitySchoolhouseQuilts.com.....Having something from the purchase would give you a name to locate...but that water has long been under that bridge....Documentation is certainly very important...remembering even more so....I gotta'work on it too. As for your local museum, ask them...if they don't they would know where they would...

Good idea!

Boo
    The quilt is beautiful for sure, but the sad thing is all those tiny stitches and no label. She didn't sign her work. I have a customer who has me hand bind her quilts. She often brings me a machine embroidered label that is at least as big as a sheet of paper if not larger. I have to laugh as I sew on the label, but it shows she values her work and wants everyone to know it. LOL I make quilts to be loved and used today. But if I ever do an all hand work quilt, I sure would hate the idea of someone wondering about it's origin. This is a good lesson to us to document.

Suz
    Vicki,

Alex Anderson answered a similar question today when she visited a quilt shop at which she was speaking and showing slides. A quilter had an old family quilt and couldn't part with it but it was in such bad condition, it was stored. It appeared that one half of the quilt was exposed to sun which caused the damage. Alex suggested that she cut it into several pieces and have the pieces framed. This way she could share it with other family members.

Is this a possible solution for you? Suzanne

PS: Leslee, thank you for the new pictures. I appreciate same. S

Leslee,

You may want to contact the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. They have (as far as I know, but I may be entirely incorrect) the only university in the country with an entire department dedicated to quilts. The art form, design, history, etc. They also have a large display of antique quilts that are protected as well as the declaration of Independence. They have consultants that would (free of charge as of a couple years ago) inspect pictures of a quilt if it wasn't nearby and try to determine age and pattern. You may want to try there. It is very pretty.

Melissa

This is a great website for antique quilts, Maybe you can find yours here.
    http://www.quiltindex.org/index.php

I have been very interested in some of the old designers like Ruby Short Mckim. Her grandaughter is starting to offer her patterns for sale. Possibly you could contact them to see if this was one of Ruby's designs. She is featured every now and then in American Patchwork and Quilting, one of the mags that BEtter Homes and Gardens has. BB&H did back in the 30's and 40's publish some of her patterns as well as several newspapers in the midwest. She was a very prolific designer so perhaps this is one of hers. Can't hurt to try! Good luck. The search has been fascinating so keep us posted.

Blog Entries
    I think these are pretty close. some of the templates are a bit out of proper shape but that can be fixed during the cutting or stitching. close examination of the photos indicate that the quilter didn't trace and follow a pattern precisely. rather, it looks like she "eyeballed" the placement of the different elements within the 10" and 14" circles.

this is a fairly large file. if it uploads here, it'll take a while to download on dial-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got it! Will print templates here at work before I leave and try to print a color picture at home (no color printer hooked up to my pc here at work :cry: Thanks Patrice! I know what I'll try next!

Thank you so much , both of you, Leslee for sharing such a beautiful treasure and Patrice, for your help in passing it on to us. Both of your are Quilting Queens!!! Our thimbles are off to you!

Leslee & Patrice,

Thank you!
    Your work and sharing are most appreciated!

Blog Entries
    you are all very welcome. :P

Fantabulous, Patrice!! That's an outstanding duplicate of the applique. Even the color's the right cornflower blue. You must have been looking over my shoulder at the poor old quilt... :D

Blog Entries
    Guess what i've been doing all day ... :shock:
    Attached Images Attached Images

too bad we can't just print that sucker out and throw it on the bed, sure is pretty

Patrice! No fair playing...I haven't got it loaded into my EQ yet. Though I like what you did so far!

Blog Entries
    then hurry up so we can see your version. time's a wasting, there, girlfriend. :P

i have a complete pattern for it - including the quilting stencils (which still need to be tweaked just a bit).

Two things...
    Suz: the center block ...doesn't have stems either.
    and ...
    Patrice: Have the colors and cutting out the templates as I type...well right after I type. am giving the color combo a try...will show when together...will be an adaptation, not a replica. Have to work it to the fabric , man!

Blog Entries
    i'll bet it looks great. i'm getting ready to sew the last few seams on the first half of the blocks for this quilt, then it's off to beddy by for me. need to be up early again. hope to at least have the top done by tomorrow bedtime.

wish me luck. :shock:

Suz
    Patrice,
    I have tried and am unable to download from the icon on the lower right corner. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks. I think we should try to determine how many of us are in love with this quilt and will be making same. And since we haven't found a name thus far, is someone going to name it for our uses. Thanks again.

Suzanne

I have given it "Leslee's Quilt " as a name until we can determine the actual name. I know Leslee is also exhausting every avenue to ascertain the name as well. My mother did say she thought it was " Daisy Chain". I haven't been able to confirm that however.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suz
    Patrice,
    I have tried and am unable to download from the icon on the lower right corner. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Any suggestions?
    if you're trying to download the pattern file, it's pretty big. it might be giving your computer a nervous breakdown. pm your email address to me. i'll break the file into pieces and send it to you in stages. (same goes for anybody else who wants it and get download from here.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast