View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by Carla P
Could you temporarily put the mattress on your bed for a few days? (I've seen people "store" them in this manner before) However you do it, you're on the right track to figuring out a way to get it done. Maybe you could set up in another room for a couple of days? How about the kitchen table? Maybe even a porch or patio outside? A local library or friends house? You keep considering your possibilities. You obviously want to finish this quilt for your friends, so the drive and determination are there; all of the rest are minor inconveniences to overcome.

Did you find those other patches?
Um...I don't have a bed. I sleep on a mattress on the floor. No luck with the dining table either because...well, we don't have a kitchen table (hence the coffee tables and the TV trays). And I really can't set up anywhere else anyways because usually I quilt late at night when everyone else is asleep and no one can bother me (my room's on one end of the trailer so the rest of the house can't hear my sewing machine humming away). I guess dealing with the weight right now is not too bad (have to wrestle with it a little bit). But its going to be a more than just a little hassle once the batting and backing is on.

No luck finding those other patches. I wish they'd show up because most of them are of the same dark blue color (the light colored ones have the variations in tone). I don't have anything that'd be exact to that dark blue color and using anything close will make it painfully obvious (at least to me anyways) that I ran out of the dark squares and had to improvise. Yeah, I know the quilt doesn't have to be perfect, but hey...I'm an artist. I try to go for my idea of perfection when creating works of art.

Originally Posted by vicki reno
There are several ways to baste a quilt--by hand, with safety pins or basting spray. My favorite method is with basting spray which is a temporay adhesive that you spray onto both sides of the batting. I have done the other methods also. If you are using the spray, try to lay out your batting on maybe the dining room table. If it hangs over just spray the middle. Fold your quilt in thirds and lay the middle third of the quilt on the sprayed batting and smooth it out--top of the quilt only. Repeat this step for the other 2 sections of the top and then flip it over and spray the batting on the other side, say 1/3 at a time. Smooth it out too. I should hold everything in palce w/out shifting while you quilt.
A walking foot feeds the quilt under the pressr foot in a more even fashion than a regular presser foot. It keeps the presser foot from pushing the top layer ahead of everything else--it feeds it through like I said more evenly. Is it an option to maybe set up on the dining table to sew? If you think it is heavy now, try wrestling with it once you get your "sandwich" put together of top, batting and backing. Not impossible, I don't want to worry you, but any extra support you can figure out will make it that much easier.
Good LUck :-)
This spray adhesive stuff sounds pretty sweet. But how much does it cost and can I find it at my local Wal-Mart Super Center?

Is it going to be impossible to sandwich the quilt if I don't have the walking foot? Don't think Wal-Mart has anything like that and I doubt anyone is gonna drive me to La Crosse so I can go to Hancock's because of the recent trend in gas prices (Did someone blow up an oil rig in Iraq? Gas is like $3.14 a gallon. Geez. Well, at least the high gas prices are probably lowering the amount of drive-by shootings in the bigger cities.)