View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 07:39 AM
hazeljane

I think it really depends what you want to do with it. Knowing yourself and your quilting is the first step. I would not trade my straight stitch Juki for any machine with fancy stitches or embroidery, but that is because I know I wouldn't use it to its capacity. I love to piece, and even more, I love to machine quilt, so i have an absolutely simple, non computerized machine that does those things superbly.

Also, if you are looking for a workhorse machine without lots of bells and whistles, I would suggest a vintage machine. My go to back-up is a 1961 Atlas. I think it would sew through rhinocerous if it had to, and again, simple to maintain and fix. (Also $45. on eBay, with the able assistance of Lostn51 (Billy) who I ran my choices by and asked questions of. There is a vintage machine thread and the folks there know everything! Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions if deciding on that route.

if I could afford it, I would buy another Juki 98Q- one for piecing and one on the frame at all times.

Try out lots, think about what it is you want to do with it, and then decide.