Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sewing Machine for quilting.??

I need input on buying a new sewing machine for
    quilting.

I need a reasonable priced Sewing machine for quilting
    my old one needs to many repairs. Bought it second hand
    25 years ago. It is time to put it to rest.

I would appreciate some input and your experience
    on which one is the best in your option.??

Thanks Much

Wow you will probably get as many suggestions as there are machines! When you say best machine for quilting do you mean for piecing or for FMQ?

I have a Bernina and I love it, but it does not meet the criteria of being reasonably priced. However, I do not regret for one second the investment I made with this machine. I didn't get one that has embroidery capability. If I had it to do over I would get the Bernina that has a stitch regulator for FMQ.

Go to your local dealer, see what is available, make a list of what you would like on a machine. There are many good ones out there but your dealer could be your best friend. That being said, I have Janomes and never a problem with them.

Janome comes with extra feet---Bernina you have to buy them and they're expensive! Janome has two new machines out in a mid range price---between 5 and 8 hundred.
    But my advise is to go to dealers of both, try them out, decide what features you need and then get the machine with as many more as you can afford.

Blog Entries
    The first thing you need to decide is what your price range is. This makes a *huge* difference in terms of which machines will be recommended. There's no sense recommending a machine that costs $1,500 if your budget is $300!

I'm in a similar boat with you. I'm saving up for the best, Bernina, but you can buy a demo model or a gently used one that someone has traded 'up' for. Bernina has a sale featuring demos, used ones, etc during August (I think), but check with your local dealer to be sure.
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

The Janome 6600P is one great machine, but out of your range. Still, check with the lower price Janome's. Love mine.
    Use a reputable dealer.

Kas
    Yep. My Bernina was a demo. Huge savings for my poor, pestered husband! I had to explain that he was going to be spending that much for longarm quilting fees if he didn't get it for me since my old Pfaff Tiptronic (which I used to death) could no longer free-motion quilt properly. The tension was whacked and no amount of adjusting on the top or bobbin nor the $300 spent at two different shops to repair it would fix it. Every time I sew anything I sing..."I love my machine, I love my machine!" And I do.

Kas

Our local Janome dealer usually has trade-ins that he has totally reconditioned and they come with a one year warrenty. They're very reasonably priced. Janome usually has some good sales in Feb/Mar/Apr that I know of but may have them other times too. If you want to buy a machine to just sew on until you can locate the one you want, check Craigslist. I've bought a New Home and a Brother recently and not spent $100 on both together. They both sew like a charm. I'm still hoping one day to get a Janome. My quilting machine is a Husquavarna/Viking.

I bought my Pfaff at a huge discount. It was last years machine. I couldn't buy it on E bay for what I paid. I love it. It embroiders, sews and quilts like a dream. I was in the right place at the right time.

Pam
    Happy shopping. Looks like you are going to have to get out there and do some test drives. That is the only way you can compare machine to machine and brand to brand. TAKE NOTES! Also, price IS negotiable. Do not be afraid to ask for a discount or some free goodies to go with your machine.

Blog Entries
    I would go and test drive different ones and see what you like

Absolutely test drive. I've owned several types of machines and have been very pleased with my Janome 9000 and my brand new Bernina. You'll have to look at quality vs. price and features you need.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I would go and test drive different ones and see what you like

That's my suggestion also. I would pick out the top 5 of the machines youi are interested in. I have a friend that sewed on a Elna for years. On a visit to my house, she tried out my Bernina and fell in love with it. She looks at her husband and tells him, guess what I'm getting?

When she went back home she did test drive different machines. She ended up with a Viking. She told me that the transition from her Elna was so much easier than other brands. I have sewed on hers, and it was difficult for me because I am so use to my Bernina.

CraftyBear is right. Test drive a few, and buy what is comfortable for you, not what is the best for other people. Great to have suggestions, but only you will know what fits you best.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, if there are 50,000 different machines, you will get 200,000 different opinions. You need to talk to some friends and see what they have, try their machines if you can. Go to different dealers and try their machines.

Blog Entries
    Do a search on the board and read the other threads, there is a ton of information in them that will be helpful to you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Well, if there are 50,000 different machines, you will get 200,000 different opinions. You need to talk to some friends and see what they have, try their machines if you can. Go to different dealers and try their machines.
    Excellent point!

I'm still quilting on my Kenmore which I purchased new in 1964. After not sewing much for several years, I had it repaired about 6 years ago and it still works great. I bought a walking foot and a free motion foot and I'm pretty well set. a couple of years ago I bought a Brother lightweight machine that I take to workshops .

I don't have much options since there are no dealers close to me but the Brother.....So I do go with the Brother machines....I am very happy with all of them.....The PQ1500 is similar to Juki (9" space in the throat)...great stippling and great straigh stitch....(it cost me less than 900$).....I do have also small simple Brother machines (cheap) that do the decorative stitches....
    Good luck
    :lol:

Get the best you can afford with everything you want in a machine. Many good brands-- I have Janomes and a Juki no problems with any of them. Make sure you get a dealer that will stand behind their machines and can "fix" any thing that may go wrong. Take whatever you buy for "test drive".
    Good luck and be sure and let us know what you get..

lyn

I bought a Viking D1 that was a trade in for an upgrade. I love it. It has been great. I did have a New Home and loved it too. However, I hear Bernina is a family based company and still makes their machines right here in the USA. So that might make a difference to you. Trying out different machines would help you see the difference.

I think it really depends what you want to do with it. Knowing yourself and your quilting is the first step. I would not trade my straight stitch Juki for any machine with fancy stitches or embroidery, but that is because I know I wouldn't use it to its capacity. I love to piece, and even more, I love to machine quilt, so i have an absolutely simple, non computerized machine that does those things superbly.

Also, if you are looking for a workhorse machine without lots of bells and whistles, I would suggest a vintage machine. My go to back-up is a 1961 Atlas. I think it would sew through rhinocerous if it had to, and again, simple to maintain and fix. (Also $45. on eBay, with the able assistance of Lostn51 (Billy) who I ran my choices by and asked questions of. There is a vintage machine thread and the folks there know everything! Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions if deciding on that route.

if I could afford it, I would buy another Juki 98Q- one for piecing and one on the frame at all times.

Try out lots, think about what it is you want to do with it, and then decide.

I replaced my machine with a Bernina 440QE demo last year and got a good deal on it. Then I got the embroidery module off ebay for Christmas--another good deal. I love both, but the embroidery module had me in tears until I could find a class to learn how to use it. I like it now, and I recommend doing it separately if you're going to do it. The seperate module means you use a laptop for your work, but it's a much bigger screen to work from than the tiny screen on the sewing machine. My preference.

I have the stitch regulator, and I like it okay, but I'm not sold on whether it's terribly useful. I find myself using my walking foot just as often.

If you can, buy a good machine--the best you can afford--and it will give you years of good use. You may end up ahead in the very long run.

Baby Loc--has thread cutter that is great time saving!

y hubby bought me a Janome 66002 years ago and I wasn't very impresses with it even though itis supposed to be for quilting. Then I found out that
    both the company and the dealer were terrible to work with. Find out before hand that the company and dealer are honest and reliable. I had a Bernina before the Janome and it served me well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast