Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Singer Sewing Machine For Quilting??? >

Best Singer Sewing Machine For Quilting???

Best Singer Sewing Machine For Quilting???

Old 04-26-2010, 04:20 AM

I currently have my grandmothers Singer from 1956. It has all the bells and wistles....however its really not doing well. Long story work after having it worked on it doesn't do a single stitch and every once in awhile I have trouble getting it out of reverse, when it isn't in reverse. I am thinking of getting a new Singer machine. I know they don't make them with a knee press, as that is the only way I know to sew, but I am hoping there is a machine that can be adapted to be one?? Can someone advise of a good Singer machine that would be good for quilting and for sewing clothing??? Thanks!!

Sandi
Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 AM

I wouldn't give up on your machine yet, since it was just worked on but won't do a stitch makes me suspect something wasn't put back together right. Could be a simple as the needle is in backwards or bobbin case or holder not set in properly.
Those old Singers are hard to kill, try to find an old Singer mechanic if at all possible.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 AM

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I don't want to get rid of it. I'm really upset about it. It is stitching so slow and I'm am just new at this. I've been sewing since I was little with her machine but nothing big just little pot holders and things. I'm now trying to do a quilt. I did some pillow case covers for some camper pads last weekend and it took me almost 6 hours of sewing and there was only 5 of them. they weren't that big and with only 2 or 3 sides to sew on each I was really discouraged and they aren't single stitched either. I'm not sure what that stitch is. I went to JoAnn's and talked to the lady there and she made me feel even worse because I don't know what all the feet are called or what they do and what the stitches are called or what their purpose is. I'm just really confused as to what to do.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 AM

find your machine model and do an online search of it. Usually listed are the feet and what they are for ... also, having the model listed, maybe someone on here can help you with some of that ...

In addition, maybe post pictures of the stitches ... and you may be able to find additional help.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:24 AM

I personally wouldn't buy a new Singer. If you have to have a Singer, I would try to find a "not so modern" one.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:50 AM

Guess I don't understand what you are saying about a single stitch. A single line of stitching is all you get on those older machines, plus reverse. I agree, sounds as if you didn't get a good repair job to start with. Take it back and make them fix it right, or find another person to do it for you.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by sheuerman
II know they don't make them with a knee press, as that is the only way I know to sew, but I am hoping there is a machine that can be adapted to be one??
If your singer is anything like my mother's old singer, take a look at what the knee press connects to up in the cabinet. I think you'll find a foot control up in there. The foot control should just slide out. It's made to slide out and be used as a foot control. Just adapt your new machine's foot control to fit in the same space and you'll be all set.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I would take it back to the shop and ask them to fix it. I agree that it sounds like something got moved that shouldn't have.

There are many feet available to do different things. Although this is a Bernina site, Singer has many of the same feet, and I have bought mostly generic ones for mine.

http://www.berninausa.com/content-n401-sUS.html

I hate when sales people don't take the time to show and explain what they are talking about... not everyone is a seasoned sewer :roll:
Many people don't know what a certain foot is called or a particular stitch either...but that doesn't mean that we don't know how to use them :wink:
Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

What is a "knee press?" The only "knee-related" moving part I know in the sewing machine world is a knee lift (to lift the presser foot and have hands-free sewing).

I just ordered the Singer Quantum L-500 from HSN. The reviews are all over the place with this one so I asked on the QB. I figured if it's a dud, I'll send it back.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43577-1.htm

Agree with the other comments though: Sounds like your machine needs to go back to emergency for additional surgery.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:18 AM

If you are thinking of purchasing another machine do not get a Singer until you have checked out other models such as Viking, Janome, Brother etc. There are so many options to choose from. Good Luck