Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Singer Sewing Machine For Quilting??? >

Best Singer Sewing Machine For Quilting???

Best Singer Sewing Machine For Quilting???

Old 04-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by sheuerman
I know they don't make them with a knee press, as that is the only way I know to sew, but I am hoping there is a machine that can be adapted to be one?? Sandi
Lots of the newer machines have a knee attachment to lift and lower the presser foot so you can adjust your fabric. My Pfaff 2170 does. And also some of the newer machines are getting rid of a presser foot lifter completely. You just press a button.
But I'd definitely take your machine and receipt for the servicing and march back in there to make them fix it correctly.
I'd hate for you to get rid of it. Those old Singers are terrific. I have a 1950 model that was my mother's. It weighs a ton and can only straight stitch but I just can't part with it. I use it when my Pfaff is being serviced.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
What is a "knee press?" The only "knee-related" moving part I know in the sewing machine world is a knee lift (to lift the presser foot and have hands-free sewing).

She's talking about a bar that connects to the front of the machine that replaces a foot pedal to operate the motor of the machine...there aren't too many of them around! I just found one at a local antique store...haven't bought it, (yet) and may not...but I did find it to be interesting! :)
Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
What is a "knee press?" The only "knee-related" moving part I know in the sewing machine world is a knee lift (to lift the presser foot and have hands-free sewing).
She's talking about a bar that connects to the front of the machine that replaces a foot pedal to operate the motor of the machine...there aren't too many of them around! I just found one at a local antique store...haven't bought it, (yet) and may not...but I did find it to be interesting! :)
Oh...I thought she meant to lift the presser foot. Thanks for teaching me something today. I didn't know there was such a thing.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:03 PM

My Mom had an old Kenmore in a cabinet with the knee press. Now that she's having a foot & knee problem she really misses that machine. Having her foot on the foot control really bothers her now.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I would take it back to the shop and ask them to fix it. I agree that it sounds like something got moved that shouldn't have.

There are many feet available to do different things. Although this is a Bernina site, Singer has many of the same feet, and I have bought mostly generic ones for mine.

http://www.berninausa.com/content-n401-sUS.html

I hate when sales people don't take the time to show and explain what they are talking about... not everyone is a seasoned sewer :roll:
Many people don't know what a certain foot is called or a particular stitch either...but that doesn't mean that we don't know how to use them :wink:
I found another place to have my grandmothers machine fixed at. They are very recommended and experienced. I'm really excited. It seems that it may have been part user error and part machinery error. :) I am going to take it in to have the gears replaced for the reversing and stitching per inch...as if I were to put it at 12 stitches per inch it will go into reverse. :( However, I'm really happy that there are other out there like me. I really am enjoying sewing. Thanks for everything!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 AM

There is probably a simple adjustment that needs to be made to how the needle is threaded or bobbin is inserted. Also if it is slower than you would like it may be your belt needs to be adjusted. If you have just had it tuned up, take it back and ask them to walk you through why this is happening. I am sure you will get this fixed and be happy with your Singer!