View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Sarah CA

Mary, Of course, we would LOVE to see pictures of your WIP. We all like pictures, don't we? Best, Sarah in Northern CA

Originally Posted by maryv
I am in the process of making my first quilt and I picked out the Grandmother's Flower Garden - because I just love it. I purchased the precut hexagons to ensure the accuracy of all the pieces; they are 1" on each flat side. When I sew 3 rows the flower measures 8 3/4 x 8" - but I still have the border to put around each flower and haven't decided on a pathway or not. Are you going to applique them on a square? I cut out 2 1/2" squares for each hexagon. I also paper punched the hexagons - I will explain later. Center the hexagon on the fabric, fold over on a flat side hold with your thumb or place one pin there to hold it, fold over the corner and take 2 small stitches in the corner and continue all the way around, taking one stitch in each corner about 1/8" from the edge -- you don't have to stitch through the hexagon and by placing the hole in the paper hexagon makes it easier to stick a stick or crochet hook, anything in the hole to pull up and reuse. I also use another template to go around and make sure all the sides are equal. Trim the fabric on the back of the hexagon once you have sewed on another row. I have 68 flowers done and about 40 more to go - I don't know which ones I will actually use until I lay them out and take a look - I figured the extra ones will be used for pillow shams or something. I am real new to this and like I said I haven't completed a quilt yet, but this is fun and relaxing - Hope you can understand my instructions, if not please do not hesitate to let me know. I can ask my husband to take pictures if you think that would help. GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!!