Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandmother's Flower Garden

I am looking ahead to winter (just for a minute). I want to paper piece a Grandmothers Flower Garden as my winters project. I really feel compelled to do this. Maybe because years ago my Grammy said that back in the day, you weren't consindered a real quilter until you made one. Is there a way to cut all of those hexigons without tracing and cutting all of them individually? Also, what is the best size hexigon to use for this. I would like to have at least 12" blocks when I am done. It is going to be a queen sized quilt when I am finished (maybe 10 years from now :oops: ) Seriously, I do want to get it done this winter. That is why I am starting the prep work now. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks so much :thumbup: Sorry admin, this should have been in main, but don't know how to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    I am looking ahead to winter (just for a minute). I want to paper piece a Grandmothers Flower Garden as my winters project. I really feel compelled to do this. Maybe because years ago my Grammy said that back in the day, you weren't consindered a real quilter until you made one. Is there a way to cut all of those hexigons without tracing and cutting all of them individually? Also, what is the best size hexigon to use for this. I would like to have at least 12" blocks when I am done. It is going to be a queen sized quilt when I am finished (maybe 10 years from now :oops: ) Seriously, I do want to get it done this winter. That is why I am starting the prep work now. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks so much :thumbup: Sorry admin, this should have been in main, but don't know how to move it.
    The GFG that I got uncompleted form my grandma, the pieces of fabric for the hexies were cut in a circle. Youíd still have to trace, but you could probably cut through 4 or 5 layers of fabric at a time and a circle would be quicker to cut then the hexie shape. Just make yourself a circle template by finding a glass that is bigger than your hexie template, you donít want it too big as you donít want a ton of bulk in the back, but not too small either so you have enough fabric to fold over. Here is some pics that shows the circles and kind of how they are folded over the hexie template:

[img] http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2781/...a60537c104.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2718/...38d404bcd1.jpg[/img]

Cheers!
    Rachel

Blog Entries
    Since I"ve never done this, or cut out paper templets, don't knnow if this will work or not. But, if you have a rotery cutter, and an extra blade, couldn't you just layer a few sheets of paper and cut threm out that way? And I think there is a website where you can download a sheetful of hexs ready to cut. That could be your top layer!

Hi Honey.....(sounds like I'm talking to DD!) I have made a GFG and working on another one as we speak. I did English Paper Piecing......I printed 1 inch hex's from a site, but understand you can buy the hex's already die cut, in many sizes, or even the plastic ones. Sense I'm cheep, I just print and cut. Its amazing how quickly it goes. Usually while watching TV. The circle that Rachel posted looks interesting. I just cut 2.5 inch squares, pinned the hex to the sq. and trimed off the corners. I hope you enjoy making your GFG as much as I do.

Clem55. Now why didn't I think of that!!?? I'll have to try it for my next one. Thanks for the idea.

Blog Entries
    Humbird, you mean I actually had a good idea for once? I'm cheap too, have yet to buy a pattern , usually try to work out my own from a pattern I see and like.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Since I"ve never done this, or cut out paper templets, don't knnow if this will work or not. But, if you have a rotery cutter, and an extra blade, couldn't you just layer a few sheets of paper and cut threm out that way? And I think there is a website where you can download a sheetful of hexs ready to cut. That could be your top layer!
    Oooh good idea for the templates themselves, you can also buy a pack of pre-cut hexie templates, or you can use newspaper like my grandma did, they are thin enough that you can cut a lot of sheets with those, especially with the rotary cutter!

Rachel

I am currently working on one now. I purchased the hexagons on ebay in bags of 500 for cheap. I use double sided scotch tape to place them on the 2.5 inch squares and then can pull them out to reuse them over and over again once my flower is sewn together. I cut my fabric in 2.5 inch strips and then into the 2.5 inch squares and have the fabrics in ziploc bags by color in my sewing basket. Hope that helps, I am hooked it is my portable project :D

Quote Originally Posted by athenagwis
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Oooh good idea for the templates themselves, you can also buy a pack of pre-cut hexie templates, or you can use newspaper like my grandma did, they are thin enough that you can cut a lot of sheets with those, especially with the rotary cutter!

Rachel
    I use scrap paper, usually from junk mail that isn't printed on back side. It's surprising how good that paper is!

I always use squares to wrap around my paper hex's. Sometimes on e-bay you can find a good deal on precut squares. The circles are a nice idea, but seems like there would be a lot of "waste" (not that we ever throw even the smallest piece of fabric away, LOL). But it would be so much simpler to just cut strips then the strips into squares.

I wrap my squares around the template, baste, sew the hex's together, take out my basting and templates, then trim the excess to the 1/4 seam.

Blog Entries
    AccuQuilt GO cutter has a hexagon die #55011 that would easily cut 2", 3" or 5" hexagons. It's a good product for those of us with arthritis. Happy Quilting!

Quote Originally Posted by MsMel
    I am currently working on one now. I purchased the hexagons on ebay in bags of 500 for cheap. I use double sided scotch tape to place them on the 2.5 inch squares and then can pull them out to reuse them over and over again once my flower is sewn together. I cut my fabric in 2.5 inch strips and then into the 2.5 inch squares and have the fabrics in ziploc bags by color in my sewing basket. Hope that helps, I am hooked it is my portable project :D

This is how I do it as welll. You can buy hexagons (all sizes) at
    http://www.paperpieces.com/. This is just so much fun. I made a table runnner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have the hex die for the Go and I use that to make my paper shapes. Some will gasp at using the die for paper but if after years of cutting thousands of shapes dull the blades then I'll buy another one. It cuts the fabric hex shapes just as sharp as ever. Most of the time I use squares and don't cut hexes from fabric. Go to the link below and scroll down until you see this:

Hexagon Cutting Guide
    Make life easier on yourself by cutting out squares from your fabric instead of a hexagon. This gives you more fabric to turn over, allowing you to easily baste without fussing with only 1/4" of fabric. And don't worry, it will still lay flat with that extra amount of fabric!
    Click the Printer Friendly Icon below to Print
    http://www.paperpieces.com/contents/en-us/d31_02.html :P

I am thinking of making one, does that count?

I recently read that the subscription cards in magazines are good to use for the templates so I am saving those as I go through old magazines.

I found a template in one of the old magazines I plan on using.

Blog Entries
    I use light card stock, the kind that is smooth like file folders. It's cheap and holds it's shape to be reused. I tried the plastic reusable ones but to me they were too much a hassle.

I use freezer paper. I found that cutting the hexigons just another little job to pass the time. You can press the paper to the fabric & when you pull it out you can reuse it, several times.My flowers with leaves form a diamond shape. So I did mine in rows across the width of the quilt. Another thing I saw someone do was use the subscription cards from magazines.

I have not used it, but there is a program called Inklingo that allows you to print the hexagon shapes directly onto the fabric, and cut them out with scissors.

But I think cutting squares sounds easiest.

And I have definitely used old rotary cutter blades to cut stacks of paper shapes for english paper piecing, and it worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I am thinking of making one, does that count?

I recently read that the subscription cards in magazines are good to use for the templates so I am saving those as I go through old magazines.

I found a template in one of the old magazines I plan on using.
    Of course that counts! I would think the only thing I would not like about the subscription cards would be that I would have to trace the template. I'm not only cheep, but lazy, so I just print them off!

There are lots of good ideas and suggestions here on this thread. And I really like the table runner Joan. Nice idea.

Clem55.......I bet you have lots of good ideas! :thumbup:

Thanks so much for all of the great ideas. I love this board. I know I can always get an answer. You are all great!!

FYI: If anyone is doing to fabshop hop, the site that was listed above - go to custom and you'll find the bunny. I just did. lol
    Carol B

I have one (gmfg) in the process, though I haven't worked on it in quite awhile. I use the paper pieces that are precut. For the fabric, I found an ink pad and a stamp of the right size hexagon. They still need to be cut with scissors. I set the paper on the back of the fabric hex and glue (with fabric safe glue stick) the seam allowance to the paper. I sewed mine together in rows rather than flowers or blocks.

I ran out of glue stick, so I did thread baste the last row. Glueing is better.
    Name:  Attachment-82966.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  50.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

CRH
    Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    I have one (gmfg) in the process, though I haven't worked on it in quite awhile. I use the paper pieces that are precut. For the fabric, I found an ink pad and a stamp of the right size hexagon. They still need to be cut with scissors. I set the paper on the back of the fabric hex and glue (with fabric safe glue stick) the seam allowance to the paper. I sewed mine together in rows rather than flowers or blocks.
    Does the glue and paper come out easily when you are done??

Quote Originally Posted by CRH
    Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    Does the glue and paper come out easily when you are done??
    roselady. Your GMG is so pretty. Gluing sounds like a good idea, but I really don't mind basting. I have used a spot of glue when making half inch hex's because pins are too long. Seems to work well, and CHR, I have not had a problem getting the papers out, but like I said, I only use a tiny spot, then baste.

I am in the process of making my first quilt and I picked out the Grandmother's Flower Garden - because I just love it. I purchased the precut hexagons to ensure the accuracy of all the pieces; they are 1" on each flat side. When I sew 3 rows the flower measures 8 3/4 x 8" - but I still have the border to put around each flower and haven't decided on a pathway or not. Are you going to applique them on a square? I cut out 2 1/2" squares for each hexagon. I also paper punched the hexagons - I will explain later. Center the hexagon on the fabric, fold over on a flat side hold with your thumb or place one pin there to hold it, fold over the corner and take 2 small stitches in the corner and continue all the way around, taking one stitch in each corner about 1/8" from the edge -- you don't have to stitch through the hexagon and by placing the hole in the paper hexagon makes it easier to stick a stick or crochet hook, anything in the hole to pull up and reuse. I also use another template to go around and make sure all the sides are equal. Trim the fabric on the back of the hexagon once you have sewed on another row. I have 68 flowers done and about 40 more to go - I don't know which ones I will actually use until I lay them out and take a look - I figured the extra ones will be used for pillow shams or something. I am real new to this and like I said I haven't completed a quilt yet, but this is fun and relaxing - Hope you can understand my instructions, if not please do not hesitate to let me know. I can ask my husband to take pictures if you think that would help. GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!!

Mary, you are doing your flowers the same way I do mine, except I do take one stitch on each side. It seems to stablize the fabric, and I have had a few papers come out before I have the hex stitched on all sides. I just clip the little stitch on the front side, and the paper comes out nicely, and can be reused. Basting stitches stay. I would love to see pictures of your flowers. Some people do paths, and some do not. I personally prefer a path because it seems the flower gets lost without. I have put a 4th white row on my flowers, then use a green to put them together. I would post a pix, but I'm computer challanged. One day, I hope I can pin one of my DDs down long enough to teach this old dog some new tricks! Happy Hexing!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast