Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM

I have one (gmfg) in the process, though I haven't worked on it in quite awhile. I use the paper pieces that are precut. For the fabric, I found an ink pad and a stamp of the right size hexagon. They still need to be cut with scissors. I set the paper on the back of the fabric hex and glue (with fabric safe glue stick) the seam allowance to the paper. I sewed mine together in rows rather than flowers or blocks.

I ran out of glue stick, so I did thread baste the last row. Glueing is better.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82971[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82965.jpe   attachment-82966.jpe   attachment-82967.jpe  
Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
CRH

Originally Posted by roselady
I have one (gmfg) in the process, though I haven't worked on it in quite awhile. I use the paper pieces that are precut. For the fabric, I found an ink pad and a stamp of the right size hexagon. They still need to be cut with scissors. I set the paper on the back of the fabric hex and glue (with fabric safe glue stick) the seam allowance to the paper. I sewed mine together in rows rather than flowers or blocks.
Does the glue and paper come out easily when you are done??
Old 06-10-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by CRH
Originally Posted by roselady
Does the glue and paper come out easily when you are done??
roselady. Your GMG is so pretty. Gluing sounds like a good idea, but I really don't mind basting. I have used a spot of glue when making half inch hex's because pins are too long. Seems to work well, and CHR, I have not had a problem getting the papers out, but like I said, I only use a tiny spot, then baste.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 PM

I am in the process of making my first quilt and I picked out the Grandmother's Flower Garden - because I just love it. I purchased the precut hexagons to ensure the accuracy of all the pieces; they are 1" on each flat side. When I sew 3 rows the flower measures 8 3/4 x 8" - but I still have the border to put around each flower and haven't decided on a pathway or not. Are you going to applique them on a square? I cut out 2 1/2" squares for each hexagon. I also paper punched the hexagons - I will explain later. Center the hexagon on the fabric, fold over on a flat side hold with your thumb or place one pin there to hold it, fold over the corner and take 2 small stitches in the corner and continue all the way around, taking one stitch in each corner about 1/8" from the edge -- you don't have to stitch through the hexagon and by placing the hole in the paper hexagon makes it easier to stick a stick or crochet hook, anything in the hole to pull up and reuse. I also use another template to go around and make sure all the sides are equal. Trim the fabric on the back of the hexagon once you have sewed on another row. I have 68 flowers done and about 40 more to go - I don't know which ones I will actually use until I lay them out and take a look - I figured the extra ones will be used for pillow shams or something. I am real new to this and like I said I haven't completed a quilt yet, but this is fun and relaxing - Hope you can understand my instructions, if not please do not hesitate to let me know. I can ask my husband to take pictures if you think that would help. GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:51 PM

Mary, you are doing your flowers the same way I do mine, except I do take one stitch on each side. It seems to stablize the fabric, and I have had a few papers come out before I have the hex stitched on all sides. I just clip the little stitch on the front side, and the paper comes out nicely, and can be reused. Basting stitches stay. I would love to see pictures of your flowers. Some people do paths, and some do not. I personally prefer a path because it seems the flower gets lost without. I have put a 4th white row on my flowers, then use a green to put them together. I would post a pix, but I'm computer challanged. One day, I hope I can pin one of my DDs down long enough to teach this old dog some new tricks! Happy Hexing!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM

I guess I have done it the hard way (but the way I loved). I bought an acyrlic ruler (hexagon shape), traced around the size I wanted and put my dots on where to start and stop stitching and cut the pieces. I have hand pieced all my flowers and now I'm ready to cut the white pieces to set it up. I don't do the English paper piecing, just stitched a regular 1/4 inch seam, starting and stopping 1/4 in from each end and doing the "Y" seams most people seem to hate. I don't mind them at all. Other things I machine stitch, but this has given me great satisfaction hand piecing it.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

A expert hand piecer showed me to not use paper, just fold over 1/4" and sew two hexes together. It sure saves a lot of time by not basting. but you have to cut the fabric in hex shapes. So either way you are cutting one of the other, paper or fabric.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM

My 1st GFG was done with out papers. Hand pieced. That was way back in the early 60s. I still have that quilt, tho a bit worse for wear! There are no right or wrong ways to piece this quilt. Everyone just has to find the way they are most comfortable with. They are all right, and all beautiful.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM

I use Kaye Woods' method for rotary cutting hexagons with a 60 degree triangle.

http://www.kayewood.com/tips/hexagons.pdf

Cut the freezer paper whatever you want your finished size to be and cut the fabric 1/2 inch more (1/4 inch on the ruler). I don't thread baste the fabric onto the hexes, though. I just fold it over and pin. I take the pins and the paper out after a portion is surrounded & yes I do get stuck by the pins but I hate basting.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:58 PM

I am doing one now that is appliqued on, but I want to do at least one that is all hand pieced. I may hand quilt it, too, not sure. Thanks so much to everyone for all of the great info. Rose, your quilt is beautiful!!