Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 06-13-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
I am looking ahead to winter (just for a minute). I want to paper piece a Grandmothers Flower Garden as my winters project. I really feel compelled to do this. Maybe because years ago my Grammy said that back in the day, you weren't consindered a real quilter until you made one. Is there a way to cut all of those hexigons without tracing and cutting all of them individually?
If you have the Accuquilt "GO" fabric cutter, it has the hexagons die cut. That sure would save you tons of time. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Hi there, sounds like Granmother's Flower Garden is a popular quilt! I am making my first one and bought a few clear template plastic sheets at JoAnns and cut my own out using a template. I can reuse and reuse. However, my quilt store ordered in the hexagon templates to cut out the fabric for this quilt. I am looking forward to getting to cut them out using the machine. I never thought about using squares, this may have been easier.

I also saved the clear plastic liner that comes in my turkey bacon packages and used them for templates - works great!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:11 PM

I think I am going to use the squares. But I have a couple of questions. 1) do you have to trim them after you make the hexi and 2) how big of a square do I use for a 1" hexi? A;; of you have been so great about sharing your knowledge. I can't thank you enough!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:22 PM

I think I am going to use the squares. But I have a couple of questions. 1) do you have to trim them after you make the hexi and 2) how big of a square do I use for a 1" hexi? A;; of you have been so great about sharing your knowledge. I can't thank you enough!
Hi Honey.....(still feels like I'm talking to DD!) I am doing 1 in hexis. I make 2 1/2 in sq. I pin the paper on the sq, then trim the corners before stitching. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by humbird
Hi Honey.....(still feels like I'm talking to DD!) I am doing 1 in hexis. I make 2 1/2 in sq. I pin the paper on the sq, then trim the corners before stitching. Hope this helps.
I found the video of Eleanor Burns show showing how she makes Grandma's Flower Garden.\
http://quiltinaday.com/theater/egg/egg1.html
Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
I found the video of Eleanor Burns show showing how she makes Grandma's Flower Garden.\
In looking further at Eleanor's site, I found this printed fusible with the pattern pcs. I just ordered it. Cost $3.50 with 61cents shpg. reg. mail. I will copy the pattern before using. I would never have considered making this quilt without finding this method. Hope it works for you.
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=2231
Old 06-13-2010, 04:49 PM

In looking further at Eleanor's site, I found this printed fusible with the pattern pcs. I just ordered it. Cost $3.50 with 61cents shpg. reg. mail. I will copy the pattern before using. I would never have considered making this quilt without finding this method. Hope it works for you.
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=2231
If I had seen this first, I would have ordered this set instead.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=2622
Old 06-13-2010, 06:08 PM

There is a pattern that is "Not your Grandmother's Flower Garden" I am making the one for tumbling blocks and it is a lot easier than doing "y" seams.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:05 PM

I'm not sure I get the way Eleanor Burns does it. It looks like you first put together a flower with 7 hex. & then use the fusible. So I'm not sure you gain by it. Can someone please explain this to me? I work with freezer paper & really like it, cuz I can reuse it several times.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
I'm not sure I get the way Eleanor Burns does it. It looks like you first put together a flower with 7 hex. & then use the fusible. So I'm not sure you gain by it. Can someone please explain this to me? I work with freezer paper & really like it, cuz I can reuse it several times.
If you go to this site and click on Egg Money Quilts, you can watch a video of her doing this block. Pretty amazing.

http://quiltinaday.com/theater/library.html