Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 06-14-2010, 01:49 PM

I also use card stock. I didn't want to trace every hexagon so traced them out onto one sheet and then just make multiple copies onto card stock. Just make sure you don't cut up your original, cause you are going to need hundreds! LOL Good luck
Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM

I saw a demo of the June Tailor shape cut ruler that makes cutting a hexagon really easy (or so it looked). You might want to see the demo video on youtube.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by zquilter
I also use card stock. I didn't want to trace every hexagon so traced them out onto one sheet and then just make multiple copies onto card stock. Just make sure you don't cut up your original, cause you are going to need hundreds! LOL Good luck
I like that idea, otherwise I would be drawing each one, duh
Old 06-15-2010, 06:01 AM

I bought this little inexpensive computer program called Print & Sew. You just choose the finished size you want & it prints the grid to sew on the lines. No math & makes accurate HST for any size. I use it anytime I am making HST unless each one is going to be a different color or they are large HST. I can remove the papers as I watch TV. I love the no math part & accuracy. You can also make quarter square triangles with it. Their website is http://www.quiltpro.com/
Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Okay I have a question, do you sew the hexagons together by hand and the applicque them to the background? Can they be sewn by machine?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by windycitygal
Okay I have a question, do you sew the hexagons together by hand and the applicque them to the background? Can they be sewn by machine?
Yes, I sew them by hand. Since the seam allowance is glued down to the paper, I do a tiny whip stitch, right sides together. Just line them up precisely so the angle fits to the next side. Mine will be all hexagons, the background and flowers, but my Aunt made one that was appliqued onto a background. I don't know if they can be done by machine, the tiny sizes would be difficult, and I think even bigger ones would be hard to do on the machine.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
Originally Posted by windycitygal
Yes, I sew them by hand. Since the seam allowance is glued down to the paper, I do a tiny whip stitch, right sides together. Just line them up precisely so the angle fits to the next side. Mine will be all hexagons, the background and flowers, but my Aunt made one that was appliqued onto a background. I don't know if they can be done by machine, the tiny sizes would be difficult, and I think even bigger ones would be hard to do on the machine.
Thank you! I always wondered how they were done, it seems they would be to complicated to sew by machine.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:16 PM

You can sew them by machine, but you would have to stop before you reached the end (leave a quarter inch) in order t do the Y seam right. So by hand is much easier. However if you want to cheat a bit you can get the same look and very easily sew it by machine with this tutorial (there are a few posts about it, so start at the bottom and work up):

http://comfortstitching.typepad.co.u...n-quilt-along/

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 04-21-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Honey
I am looking ahead to winter (just for a minute). I want to paper piece a Grandmothers Flower Garden as my winters project. I really feel compelled to do this. Maybe because years ago my Grammy said that back in the day, you weren't consindered a real quilter until you made one. Is there a way to cut all of those hexigons without tracing and cutting all of them individually? Also, what is the best size hexigon to use for this. I would like to have at least 12" blocks when I am done. It is going to be a queen sized quilt when I am finished (maybe 10 years from now :oops: ) Seriously, I do want to get it done this winter. That is why I am starting the prep work now. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks so much :thumbup: Sorry admin, this should have been in main, but don't know how to move it.
Next time, might you check out Kaye Wood's method of cutting out the papers for hexagons, no fabric waste. I'll be trying out her method on my next GFG.
See here:
http://www.kayewood.com/tips/hexagons.pdf
Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Hi Honey, was just reading on this board & came across your questions. I know this is to late to give you any tips, but I'm also working on Grandmother's Flower Garden & have my first one almost hand quilted & another one started. I really enjoy doing them. I really believe they are addictive. How are you comming with yours?
>>