Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 06-13-2010, 06:14 AM

DebbyT, just gorgeous quilts! You did a fabulous job!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 06-13-2010, 06:28 AM

lOVELY - CONGRATS ON THE COMPLETION
Old 06-13-2010, 07:02 AM

Wow, a lot of great information and inspiration on this thread. I have long admired the GFG and wanted to make one, think a winter project is in store for me. I like the idea of getting it prepared now to work on then. Not sure which method I will use, but have bookmarked this so I can go back and check it out again and again. All of the quilts all of you have made are just wonderful and I hope I can do as good a job as all of you. Also thank you to all that gave links to products and layouts, have bookmarked those as well. Hm, now to start thinking just what layout and fabric I want to use. Such nice dreaming to come up with the perfect one.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 AM

Honey go one line to Simply quilts and find patty's garden. The show showed how to use the plastic templetes to sew around. Then attached to rows. Then pull the templates out. I video taped the show a long time ago.

Katrina
Old 06-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by DebbyT
It has been at least 25 years, but last night at appx 8:25 pm I sewed the last seam on my GMFG quilt top. I retired about 10 months ago and decided to attack those unfinished projects. This is one I often took on road trips. At home I sewed by machine, on the road I sewed by hand. Mine is 2" on the edge and 3 1/2" across. I use a plastic template and I think I cut 1 at a time. - So long ago. - I remember using a rotery cutter, because that is when I bought my first one and my mat. The top and bottem edge seemed too pointed so I did half blocks and made it straight. I havn't decided how to I will finish the edge. The indidvidule blocks measure 16". My next one will have smaller blocks and won't take 25 years. -------- Notice the brown one in the back of the picture. It is posted on a previous page. Juliasb is my sister and a generous one. It wasn't even my birthday or a special occation, but she gave it to me and I do love it.
Ok. So now I can tell all those gals at my children's school who see me working on the same mill wheel quilt and keep asking me, "Are you ever going to finish that quilt?" that it might take me, gulp, 25 years, but I will finish it! I just love blue and white quilts. Beautiful! And such a sweet sister, too!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 AM

I think we need to start a "hexagon-quilt-along! :D

http://hexagonquilt-along.blogspot.com/

Check out this site.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G

It's ironic you're asking about this today. This morn. I watched Eleanor Burns on TV working on this very quilt. Instead of the little paper pieced pcs. she used drawings in the shape of ea. layer. Had a lg. one, med. one, & a sm. center one. She put fusible web on ea. one with the fusible facing the right side of the fabric. She then made a sm. slit in the fus. web & turned it inside out. She positioned the 3 layers together on the precut 12" block then ironed them down. She said you could stitch up ea. section to give it more dimension. So much easier than I thought it would be. It's the only way I'd ever make one after seeing that show.
I think it's in her Egg Money Quilt book.
I saw that same show yesterday morning and was thinking the same thing. It is in her Egg Money Quilt book.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 AM

Debby, your quilt is absolutly beautiful. It doesn't matter how long it took, just that you did it! I love the blue and white. Mine is going to be 30's prints just like my Grammy made. Depending on how long it takes me, I may do another in 2 colors. I would also like to do just a scrappy hexigon.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:50 AM

I have either used the company PaperPieces or I have made my own by using the postcards that fall out of every magazine I buy.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the info on inklingo method. I have been working on a GFG quilt for a year using English Paper Piecing method and freezer paper, which I run through my printer and I do like this method. They sure do take a long time but can fit into traveling time, which is nice.