Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 06-12-2010, 09:49 PM

I don't have the patience, and my hands go to sleep anytime I do hand work.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
I am looking ahead to winter (just for a minute). I want to paper piece a Grandmothers Flower Garden as my winters project. I really feel compelled to do this. Maybe because years ago my Grammy said that back in the day, you weren't consindered a real quilter until you made one. Is there a way to cut all of those hexigons without tracing and cutting all of them individually? Also, what is the best size hexigon to use for this. I would like to have at least 12" blocks when I am done. It is going to be a queen sized quilt when I am finished (maybe 10 years from now :oops: ) Seriously, I do want to get it done this winter. That is why I am starting the prep work now. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks so much :thumbup: Sorry admin, this should have been in main, but don't know how to move it.

It's ironic you're asking about this today. This morn. I watched Eleanor Burns on TV working on this very quilt. Instead of the little paper pieced pcs. she used drawings in the shape of ea. layer. Had a lg. one, med. one, & a sm. center one. She put fusible web on ea. one with the fusible facing the right side of the fabric. She then made a sm. slit in the fus. web & turned it inside out. She positioned the 3 layers together on the precut 12" block then ironed them down. She said you could stitch up ea. section to give it more dimension. So much easier than I thought it would be. It's the only way I'd ever make one after seeing that show.
I think it's in her Egg Money Quilt book.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:19 AM

That is exactly how I do mine. I find it quite easy to do. I have great control and exact cuts. The piecing or each block was easy. I suppose I could have done much if it by machine if I wanted to but once I start by hand I figure I should do it all by hand.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by humbird
Hi Honey.....(sounds like I'm talking to DD!) I have made a GFG and working on another one as we speak. I did English Paper Piecing......I printed 1 inch hex's from a site, but understand you can buy the hex's already die cut, in many sizes, or even the plastic ones. Sense I'm cheep, I just print and cut. Its amazing how quickly it goes. Usually while watching TV. The circle that Rachel posted looks interesting. I just cut 2.5 inch squares, pinned the hex to the sq. and trimed off the corners. I hope you enjoy making your GFG as much as I do.
Yes I use to do this with my mom as a young girl. We did not trace each piece. we just took either brown paper bags or cereal boxes and made our pattern. Then we pinned the pattern to the fabric and cut around the pattern. This was much easier and faster that tracing and cutting each piece.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:00 AM

Rite now I am doing one that is appliqued on. It is really simple to do. But I do want to do one that is paper pieced. I guess it is just to prove to myself that I can. I have this compulsion to challenge myself with things that my ancesters accomplished. I know that I have many conviences that my Grammy didn't have, but I need to know that if I had to, I could survive and take care of my familiy. Isn't it amazing what drives us sometimes.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:15 AM

The web site paperpieces.com has lots of different sizes and shapes. I have never ordered from them but if I ever do another quilt where I need precut paper pieces I plan to order them. It will save lots of time and frustration.

Logarm
Old 06-13-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G
I am looking ahead to winter (just for a minute). I want to paper piece a Grandmothers Flower Garden as my winters project. I really feel compelled to do this. Maybe because years ago my Grammy said that back in the day, you weren't consindered a real quilter until you made one. Is there a way to cut all of those hexigons without tracing and cutting all of them individually? Also, what is the best size hexigon to use for this. I would like to have at least 12" blocks when I am done. It is going to be a queen sized quilt when I am finished (maybe 10 years from now :oops: ) Seriously, I do want to get it done this winter. That is why I am starting the prep work now. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks so much :thumbup: Sorry admin, this should have been in main, but don't know how to move it.

It's ironic you're asking about this today. This morn. I watched Eleanor Burns on TV working on this very quilt. Instead of the little paper pieced pcs. she used drawings in the shape of ea. layer. Had a lg. one, med. one, & a sm. center one. She put fusible web on ea. one with the fusible facing the right side of the fabric. She then made a sm. slit in the fus. web & turned it inside out. She positioned the 3 layers together on the precut 12" block then ironed them down. She said you could stitch up ea. section to give it more dimension. So much easier than I thought it would be. It's the only way I'd ever make one after seeing that show.
I think it's in her Egg Money Quilt book.
I have seen that episode. Was shocked to see how easy it would be. I told DD about it and she said, "Has Eleanor been cheating again?!" Well maybe, but she sure has some time saving ways to cheat! I really like that lady!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 AM

Rite now I am doing one that is appliqued on. It is really simple to do. But I do want to do one that is paper pieced. I guess it is just to prove to myself that I can. I have this compulsion to challenge myself with things that my ancesters accomplished. I know that I have many conviences that my Grammy didn't have, but I need to know that if I had to, I could survive and take care of my familiy. Isn't it amazing what drives us sometimes.
I like the way you think :thumbup:
Old 06-13-2010, 05:42 AM

It has been at least 25 years, but last night at appx 8:25 pm I sewed the last seam on my GMFG quilt top. I retired about 10 months ago and decided to attack those unfinished projects. This is one I often took on road trips. At home I sewed by machine, on the road I sewed by hand. Mine is 2" on the edge and 3 1/2" across. I use a plastic template and I think I cut 1 at a time. - So long ago. - I remember using a rotery cutter, because that is when I bought my first one and my mat. The top and bottem edge seemed too pointed so I did half blocks and made it straight. I havn't decided how to I will finish the edge. The indidvidule blocks measure 16". My next one will have smaller blocks and won't take 25 years. -------- Notice the brown one in the back of the picture. It is posted on a previous page. Juliasb is my sister and a generous one. It wasn't even my birthday or a special occation, but she gave it to me and I do love it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84862.jpe  
Old 06-13-2010, 05:46 AM

It is beautiful! Congratulations. I know how you have worked on this over the years and you were my inspiration to try my hand at the GMFG. Of course it was a quilt I never thought I would do and as of now have done 2 king size and 2 baby quilts. Amazing! Again Congratulations! Job well done.