Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 06-12-2010, 02:47 PM

I do my hexagons with Inklingo. Don't even want to try English paper piecing, just too much work. :lol:
Inklingo is great. Fast and easy. You print on the wrong side of the fabric, have both cutting lines and stitching lines, with match points as needed. Can sew by hand or machine, or combine both.
You can print for scissor cutting or rotary cutting of pieces so you can cut a few layers at a time too.

To try Inklingo, there is a free collection available. You "purchase" it on the website just like you were buying it, but there is no charge for it. Download and it is ready to use. The free collection is 45° diamonds, squares and triangles to make a 4 1/2" (finished size) Lemoyne star. Those shapes/sizes can also be used to make a lot of other quilt blocks.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx
Old 06-12-2010, 03:04 PM

I too love the "Grandmother's Flower Garden" and like you paper piecing is my favorite. The May/June 2010 issue of Love of Quilting by Fons&Porter has "Grandmother's Daisy Garden. I fell in love with it and have started getting my fabrics together. Check it out for yourself and see if it's something you think you would like. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 PM

I did not put a binding on it I turned in the edges 1/4" and did a loop stitch. Then quilted 1/4" from the edge all the way around. The entire quilt is done by hand.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM

I like the idea of the stamps but the smallest hex stamp I could find was 2 inches. I don't want my hexes that large, does anyone that uses the stamps know where I can get a smaller stamp? Something around 3/4"?
Another question I have about the stamps is what kind of stamp pad do you use? is the ink permanent on the fabric or is it washable?
Old 06-12-2010, 05:02 PM

I started one this last winter and it is very addictive. You won't want to put it down. I too am making a queen size. Problem is I have other things to do. I can sit and sit with this. You will love it and it is cheaper than therapy. ha I have a gallon size plastic zipper bad that I carry with me when going to drs etc. Every stitch counts.

Enjoy. Mrs. I
Old 06-12-2010, 05:03 PM

I love this pattern, it will be my ultimate accomplishment, O N E D A Y ! Thanks everyone for the posts. I love it.

Blessings,
Ruth
Old 06-12-2010, 05:10 PM

For what it is worth, I cut 8 layers of fabric at a time using an acrylic hex template and a rotary cutter and then I hand piece my flowers or diamonds etc. I am working on my 6th one.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:21 PM

@juliasb Awesome!! I can't even imagine accomplishing something like that!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by humbird
Originally Posted by galvestonangel
I haven't made a GFG but I did try english paper piecing and had major problems. It was on a BOM and I still having redone it. I think I would try the stamp and hand piece. It sounds quicker and less trouble than the others. Jenny Beyers hand pieces all her quilts. It would seem accuate because you have marked your sewing line. You sew right sides together so you see the line.

All the quilts that have been shown are beautiful. I may have to try one.
I am sorry you had problems with the english paper piecing. You just have to find your own comfort zone. EPP isn't for everyone. I did one many (many) years ago by piecing the hex's. It was ok, but I just prefer EPP. I hope you find a way that suits you. I'm sure you would enjoy the process once you do.
I like paper piecing and really thought I would like EPP. It sounded easy enough. It was a star and it just didn't work. The bad part is that I don't know what I did wrong and how to do it better. It was a BOM from a shop about 250 miles from me. I even considered driving up there to see if they would help. They sent me extra material but I am afraid to try it again.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:00 PM

I am doing a GFG as we speak, also. I use the magazine inserts that are always falling out as you open one. Good recycling...and good weigh. I cut trace the hexagons on this paper, put them on fabric and cut 1/4 inch larger around the hexagon. Then fold over the 1/4 in and it shapes around it perfectly. The corners are so crisp and smooth. I baste around the hexagons then sew them together...and will eventually press them and take the basting stitches and paper out.....English paper piecing.