Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 06-12-2010, 10:45 AM

Wow Caroline, I have a sizzix laying around here somewhere that I totally forgot about. Thanks for mentioning it....now I will use it for my templates. Sarah in Northern CA

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
Hi Guys,

If you have a sizzix they do hexagons in 1 1/2" 2" and
2 1/2" dies.... they cut 4 - 5 shapes a time and you could put through 4 pieces of paper at a time...! Templates in Minutes!!!

Hope this helps.

Hugs

Caroline
Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Kas

Seriously, y'all. You need to take a look-see at the stamps. I have never done the baste, sew, unbaste, remove cardboard method, but it just sounds like more time and effort. After you cut out the stamped pieces, you just pin the corner and sew on the line. And you are still doing it by hand, so still traditional. Yes, you have to cut around the stamps, but you have to mark around a template and then cut it out anyway. Or cut out the general right size of fabric to baste around the cardstock hex. I gotta get some pics taken.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Ok I will just put it in this message. I know with all the scraps I keep I will be making another one soon enough.

Grandmother's flower garden King Size
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84059[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84054.jpe  
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Kas

Love it!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Kas, you mentioned "sew on the line". If the line is on the inside of the fabric, are you just sort of eyeballing to make sure you are on the line before you start sewing? Or are you ironing on the line first, then sewing two pieces together? Thanks.
Originally Posted by Kas
Seriously, y'all. You need to take a look-see at the stamps. I have never done the baste, sew, unbaste, remove cardboard method, but it just sounds like more time and effort. After you cut out the stamped pieces, you just pin the corner and sew on the line. And you are still doing it by hand, so still traditional. Yes, you have to cut around the stamps, but you have to mark around a template and then cut it out anyway. Or cut out the general right size of fabric to baste around the cardstock hex. I gotta get some pics taken.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:01 PM

I haven't made a GFG but I did try english paper piecing and had major problems. It was on a BOM and I still having redone it. I think I would try the stamp and hand piece. It sounds quicker and less trouble than the others. Jenny Beyers hand pieces all her quilts. It would seem accuate because you have marked your sewing line. You sew right sides together so you see the line.

All the quilts that have been shown are beautiful. I may have to try one.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
I haven't made a GFG but I did try english paper piecing and had major problems. It was on a BOM and I still having redone it. I think I would try the stamp and hand piece. It sounds quicker and less trouble than the others. Jenny Beyers hand pieces all her quilts. It would seem accuate because you have marked your sewing line. You sew right sides together so you see the line.

All the quilts that have been shown are beautiful. I may have to try one.
I am sorry you had problems with the english paper piecing. You just have to find your own comfort zone. EPP isn't for everyone. I did one many (many) years ago by piecing the hex's. It was ok, but I just prefer EPP. I hope you find a way that suits you. I'm sure you would enjoy the process once you do.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:10 PM

juliasb, I love your quilt. Thanks for posting in a larger format. How did you finish up the edges? Can't really tell, but it looks interesting.

My quilt is on page 3 of this thread.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:42 PM

what size hexagons do you use? all of your quilts are beautiful! thanks, mary
Old 06-12-2010, 02:32 PM

I use 1 inch. I did a few half inch to use in the applique border I'm making. They are really cute, but I won't be making a quilt with them! :wink: