View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:23 AM
MistyMarie

Originally Posted by oldhag
My DGD started sewing on her own machine when she was 4 (she's 7 now). I have an old laundry hamper that I throw my scraps in and I let her use anything in the scrap bin she wants. The other thing I do is cut out squares of white fabric and keep a stash of those ready for her creative days. She takes out her sharpies and writes messages and/draws pictures on them. We then turn them into pillows or little wall hangings ans she gives these as gifts to her great grandparents and any one she takes a notion to make one for. They are unique and capture a moment in time of her writing and drawing skills as well as her sewing.
That is such a GREAT idea. We just finished our first set of pillowcases. My kids are already putting them to use. My son decided he wanted the money fabric first. Can't say I am too thrilled about the eyeball fabric, so I was glad he chose the money fabric. They went downstairs into my stash and picked out coordinating fabric for the rest of the pillowcases. That was fun for them. Jacob rejected about ten different pieces until I found the "right" green for him. My daughter was easier to please, which surprised me.

My son was being silly.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]83998[/ATTACH]

My daughter's in little girl heaven here!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84016[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-83993.jpe   attachment-84011.jpe