View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Zephyr

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi,I have made my own templates from an acrylic hexagon. I started saving the lightweight cardstock inserts (reply postcards) in magazines and sometimes the Sunday paper inserts. The shiny inserts are too heavy I won't use them. Place the template on top of the cardstock--pick up both holding it firmly so that it doesn't slip- carefully cut along the sides of the template .A medium size scissor is the best size to use. Not the embroidery ones- the next size . I use a paper punch to make a hole in the middle of the paper hex so that it will be easy to remove after you have sewn the fabric onto the template. I have made them1.5" to 3". Stack several of them to see if they are the same. If you see that they aren't , you have to make sure that when you are cutting the card stock you are getting as close to the bottom edge of the template as possible.. I will take some photos tomorrow to show you how I do it. I made a over a thousand of them watching tv. I made alot of confetti doing it. You can start collecting the cards now. If you pm me your address I can send you some so you can get started. The great thing about this way is that it doesn't cost you anything ! Anne
That sounds exactly how I do mine. I have about 400 scrappy hexagons underway now. I made one smaller throw a couple of years ago and really like it but I didn't have any idea how to put my flowers together. So I applicaded (?) them to a square of light fabric and then I put my squares together with sashing.