Thread: another dog?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 PM
hazeljane

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
So far the idea of rescuing and adopting is becoming clearer to me and also the idea of keeping an older dog/puppy from a fate...well who knows what, is indeed a worthy undertaking from you accounts.
Your experiences have been most heartening. I know that these dogs can come with baggage as I know others who have rescued. My own little guy was 7 mos. when we got him from a breeder. And there were some early experiences he just never let go. ( He would cower when I took out the fly swatter to get a bug!)
As far as being ready, there is no question that I am. He had to leave because of a serious health issue with my newborn grandson. I heard from many who were on on side of the fence or the other about relocating but in order for me to be the kind of Nana I am, it was then 'the easiest hardest decision' I had to make.
I did hear through the Schnauzer Rescue who said our guy was welcomed into a wonderful home and the new family didn't know what they did before they got him but then they would not have had 'the perfect individual' ( their words)that he indeed is.
It wasn't the best situation but our grandson comes first.

Catherine-

My husband and I run a small non-profit Italian Greyhound rescue. I think if you go through a rescue group that fosters its dogs, instead of holding them in a kennel situation like a pound, you might have better luck.

We try very hard to match up the dog's needs and the family's needs/wants, because the last thing we want is for the dog to be back into the cycle of rescue. So most of the time, the foster parent is familiar with: potty habits, trainablility, issues with kids/cats/other pets, personality and need for attention/exercise, etc. Often someone calls me because they have fallen in love with the picture on Petfinder, but the dog that they're looking for is not that dog. If there is not a dog here that meets the family's needs, I often use my connections to see if I can find them one.

A dog that has been fostered has at least the beginning of training, and you will have a whole lot more information with which to make a decision.

Good Luck!

Maggie