Thread: another dog?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Sandy1951

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Catherine-

My husband and I run a small non-profit Italian Greyhound rescue. I think if you go through a rescue group that fosters its dogs, instead of holding them in a kennel situation like a pound, you might have better luck.

We try very hard to match up the dog's needs and the family's needs/wants, because the last thing we want is for the dog to be back into the cycle of rescue. So most of the time, the foster parent is familiar with: potty habits, trainablility, issues with kids/cats/other pets, personality and need for attention/exercise, etc. Often someone calls me because they have fallen in love with the picture on Petfinder, but the dog that they're looking for is not that dog. If there is not a dog here that meets the family's needs, I often use my connections to see if I can find them one.

A dog that has been fostered has at least the beginning of training, and you will have a whole lot more information with which to make a decision.

Good Luck!

Maggie
I've been looking at rescue groups in Ohio for a new dog recently. We lost our beloved little 11-year-old Pekingese, Sammy, a few months ago. We moved in January from a house with a fenced in backyard to a house with no fence, which is also on a major highway. I was terrified that Sammy would get on the highway and be hit. At first we only took him out on a leash, but then we started taking him out without the leash, but we always stayed with him. He was very good and never went near the highway...until the time he did. My daughter and son-in-law and one of my granddaughters were visiting. I was getting dinner on, but I told my daughter I needed to take Sammy out before we ate. My daughter asked her husband to take him out for me. I cautioned my SIL to watch him closely, which he said he would. Well, in all the commotion of getting everyone fed I didn't realize he didn't bring my little Sammy back in the house. My daughter had been hammering a lot as she helped me hang pictures and Sammy had stayed back in the bedroom all afternoon. I just assumed he went back there. While we were eating, I said to my SIL, "You did bring Sammy back in, right?" I honestly thought he did and Sammy had gone back to the bedroom. I almost died when my SIL jumped up and said, "I think so, didn't I?" Well, no, he didn't. We found my sweet little buddy on the other side of the highway with his head smashed in. He was blind in one eye and this was the side that was hit. Whoever was driving didn't even stop.

Sammy was such great company for me. I'm home all day and I used to talk to him constantly. He understood everything I said and he always stayed with me. I miss him so much; losing him broke my heart.

Anyway, I've been thinking I might be almost ready for another dog, so I've spent quite a lot of time looking at sites for rescue groups, pounds, and humane societies. I've noticed a huge difference between the descriptions of dogs from some of the rescue sites than from those at pounds or humane societies. Like Maggie said, the descriptions of dogs from the better rescue sites that are in foster homes are much more complete and include potty habits, trainability, issues with kids/cats/other pets, personality and need for attention/exercise, etc. I can't get a dog that will be aggressive toward our granddaughters or three cats. And I prefer getting one that is already housebroken, although I realize there might be some accidents during the adjustment period. I don't want a puppy mill dog.

There's a rescue group about 18 miles from us that seems to be one of the best ones I've checked out. They've had two dogs recently that fit all my criteria, but in both cases someone else applied and received adoption approval before we had a chance to apply. I plan to check the site more often and I think based on what Maggie said, I'll also contact the woman who operates the rescue group so she can be on the lookout for a dog that will fit our family.

Catherine, thanks for bringing this up and Maggie, thanks for your good advice. Also thanks to everyone else who posted.

My sweet little Sammy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85520[/ATTACH]
Attached Images