View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

as a child growing up out in the country being raised by a single mom with 5 kids she taught us to always make our gifts...if we don't have the time or the inclination to make it, then...don't bother ...is the attitued in my family. my mom would probably drop through the floor if i bought her something...about 20 years ago my kids and i did buy a gift for my mom...she returned it...we were living 3000 miles away and i thought it was something she would love...we didn't make it, she didn't want it.
now with my granddaughter's they don't care if it's made by you or purchased, and my dh's family ...i don't think any of them have any idea what it means to make anything. they loved the quilts they have received but the gifts from them...go to the store and buy 10 snuggies because they are on sale...there everyone done...
i get an attitude about gifts like that...i don't mind gift cards or what ever but really feel that it doesn't matter if you make it or buy it, what matters is that you put forth a little effort to pick out something special for a particular person...save the 10 snuggies for generic gifting (office/ drawings ect) put a little thought into something for a family member.
so, now with all that said...i have about 10 people to 'make--for' and another 3 or 4 to buy for...and i get together for crafty weekends with my granddaughter's to help them make some of their gifts