View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 03:12 PM
lab fairy

This is why peoples work was "undone" and restitched after a quilting bee ended. Some ladies just have a hard time quilting and their stitches are what most of us consider basting. We had an older woman come from the nursing home faithfully (she was brought by members of the church). We loved her company but she couldn't stitch the way she used to (she might be making anywhere from 4-6 stitches an inch). When she got tired and went home, we would restitch for her but felt we were blessed by her wisdom that she would be passing on. The quilts we worked on were to be sold, not kept for personal use, so we were pickier.

I find that I admire another's work (who might not stitch as finely as I do) but will seft-criticize to the max. I make measurements to six decimal places on any given day in the "real world" so I am geared to look for specific things. I have a hard time with acceptable tolerances (different for each quilter). It also drives me NUTS if my seams don't match and my points are off. I rarely notice someone else's work being off unless it is really glaring.